Use an EQ for Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stevel, Feb 22, 2009.

1. stevel

stevel Member

Is it practical to use an EQ for boost?

Advantages? Disadvantages?

Would a Clean Boost do the job better? Or does being able to adjust frequencies make the EQ more versatile?

Steve

2. Zero

Zero Member

3. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

I think Tom Morello uses an EQ pedal to boost. I think his is set completely flat other than a volume boost. I don't see why it would be a bad idea, unless you just didn't like the sound of a particular EQ pedal. Seems to me that it'd be a little more versatile since you could shape the spectrum of the boost.

4. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I used to use an EQ for boost before, a Boss GE-7 to be specific, and it was set to flat. I didn't think it made a difference to use it rather than say, a clean booster. Long story short, I was wrong. It does make a difference.

I tried the Catalinbread Serrano Picoso, and my guitar sounds much more like my guitar. It is weird, you would think the EQ wouldn't colour the sound, but it idoes. There was a distinct difference between using the Serrano Picoso instead of the flat EQ. More sparkle, more of the natural tone of the guitar.

I discovered the same was true when I replace the EQ at the start of my chain with an MXR MC-401 booster. I had my EQ set to just a mild mid hump for added sparkle. The MXR seems to do this, but in a much more natural way. I guess you can say that it brings the true sparkle of my humbuckers better.

My suggestion would be to use a clean boost for leads (if you like your sound just the way it is but louder), and EQs for shaping your tone. I have an MXR 10 Band EQ after my distortions and it works wonders. The booster comes after that so that I get more of the tone. It is brilliant.

Good clean booster suggestions:
    * Catalinbread Serrano Picoso/Super Chili Picoso
    * MXR CAE MC-401/402
    * Lizard Leg Flying Dragon Boost
    * Creation Audio Labs MK 4.23

5. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Member

I'm also using a GE-7 for a clean boost. My Fender Jaguar drops off in volume seemingly by half when both pickups are lit, but I love the tone. The GE-7 gives it just enough boost to cut through the mix when playing live.