Use guitar cable from head to cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Powderfinger, May 6, 2008.

1. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I just started buying heads and cabs after a lifetime of using combos. In connecting a head to a cab, is it ok to use a normal guitar cable? Or is there special cable for that purpose? Thanks.

2. VanR

VanR Senior Member

You need a speaker cable. Guitar cables aren't made to carry the current. You will burn your OT up eventually.

3. irwin4star

irwin4star Member

NEGATIVE!!! always use a heavy gauge speaker (12 to 14) cable for that.

4. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

It's better to use speaker cable, which has the same connectors but different wire.

Speaker wire usually is usually thicker since it carries more current than guitar signal.

Guitar cable is coax, which has the signal on the inside with the ground/return wrapped around it as a shield. Speaker cable is side by side.

5. mike80

mike80 Member

Guitar cable will work, but not for long. The small wire isn't meant to carry the current that a speaker cable is designed to carry. Once you get a good ammount of current through a guitar cable going to a cabinet, you'll burn it in half, leaving the OT without a load, causing it to possibly burn up.

Do yourself the favor, and go spend a few bucks on a speaker cable. Even a cheapy will do. It's a lot less expensive than spending dough on a new OT.

6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Glad I asked! Thanks. (P.S. I've done three gigs and a bunch of practice time using guitar cables, so I guess I'm lucky).

7. mike80

mike80 Member

I used guitar cables for that purpose for a while...until they started going bad on me. Luckily it was only on a solid state amp, and I didn't know any better.

Guitar cables will do if you are in a pinch, but I would always recommend carrying an extra speaker cable instead of using a guitar cable.

8. jimkelly

jimkelly Member

Guitar cables also add a lot of capacitance, besides the conductors being undersized for the speaker current. It's definitely better to make up cables fron SJO or similar extension cord cable or just buy good speaker cables.