Use of cheap batteries / leaving batteries in pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nitehawk55, May 1, 2008.

1. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

I just got an Analogman Sundial and they recommend the use of the cheap non alkaline batteries you would find in a $1 store as they are supposed work better with these pedals . My concern is using cheap batteries and possable leakage that might cause damage to the circuit board and components . Has anyone found that the use of these cheap batteries makes much of a difference in how the Sundial/sunface performs ?
    Not doubting your reasons for this Mike , just wondering why cheapo "time bomb" batteries in a nice electronic device .

My other question is...if you are using a power supply do you still leave a battery in the pedal . Any reason that you do ? I'm using a power supply so I would rather remove the battery to eliminate the chance of an acid leak....and yes I have seen the top brand batteries leak too . :eek:

2. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

No idea how the battery is set up on your pedal but on my tube screamer its on the floor plate so if it leaks it won't go anywhere but the battery cover.

3. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

from what i understand a lot of the "generic" batteries are made from the bigger companies..

4. KCWM

KCWM Member

I've used cheap batteries from the dollar bin at Target for years...have been using them in my "nicer" pedals too with no adverse effects

5. charmboy

charmboy Member

Non-alkaline batteries sound noticeably better in fuzz pedals... I'm no scientist but it has to do with the uneven and lower discharge of voltage that comes from the non-alkalines. The effect is a more balanced tone with a bigger high end. Mike's got a pretty good side by side soundclip example on the analogman site. This is the case for some overdrives as well, although that's more subjective; lots of people like higher voltage for more headroom in their overdrives. Any other pedals (chorus, delay, phaser, etc...) will sound better and get longer play with the alkaline pedals though.

I usually leave batteries in pedals that I power with my pp2... There are gigs where I'll sometimes just bring my fuzz and wah with a combo amp and I like to be able to just pick them up and go.

I tend to not worry about the slim chance of what might happen, more of a living in the now type I guess...

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've used "dollar store batteries" for years in fuzz and distortion (and many other) pedals without issue. Of course they aren't good for something like a digital delay but I can even tell a difference in using alkaline vs carbon in an eternity!

Here's a battery clip from mike's page on the sunface

Battery comparison: two identical NKT 275 pedals. Starts with Alkaline Duracell (twice), Cheap General Purpose type (twice) then Duracell (twice again) on a Les Paul. Listen to the high end change.

http://www.mikepiera.com/samples/duracell2.mp3

7. Free

Free Member

Nothing to worry about at all. I've used these type of dollar store batteries and left them in various pedals for years with no problems. If you're worried change them out once a year and you'll never have a problem. I buy mine from Walgreens btw.

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Get yourself some of those little ziplock bags that some companies use for parts. Put one over the battery and close the ziplock all the way use to the battery cables. That way if the battery leaks it'll be contained by the bag. By the way I was playing through a Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus and while playing it started making all kinds of weird noises and then shut off. So I opened it up to find a Duracell had lost it's load and messed up the inside of the pedal. Immediately after finding that I went through every pedal sitting on a shelf and removed the batteries. Doing this I found a few more batteries that were swollen or started to ooze their chemicals out. So I understand the fear of damaging a pedal with battery leakage.

TheGrooveking

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

GREAT IDEA!

10. KCWM

KCWM Member

I've never had a leaky battery in 15 years of playing. Odd. I'll definitely have to be more mindful of it now that I have more expensive toys.

11. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Genius!

12. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

...until you turn it over to open the back to take out the battery of course

Never had a battery burst in a pedal.
    I use cheapie batteries in my fuzz.
    The ziplock is a great idea though.

13. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

Right on, I have been on the verge of checking my less used pedals for "the state of the battery". So, when I do, I'll use the battery condom!!
    Also I'll try to install them around the batteries in my acoustics, except the batteries are in metal clips inside the body, may tear the plastic bag, but being careful there should be no tears in the battery condom.
    thanks

14. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Try rolling the condom on a banana first to make sure you have the technique down before trying it for real inside your guitar's hole. :AOK

15. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

The ziploc is a great idea. I got a boutique pedal a few months ago and the battery was in a tiny ziploc bag and I did one of these :jo why didn't I think of that.

16. Structo

Structo Member

Yes but Eric Johnson said the baggie alters the tone!
    Seriously, it probably takes years for a battery to leak, although I'm sure there are exceptions but the baggie makes it a no brainer if you don't want to take a chance with your $240 pedal.

17. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

WOW. I had no idea that a battery would make that kind of difference.

18. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

The only experience I've had with a battery barfing its guts out inside a pedal occurred in a Zvex Machine; the power died but the Machine was impervious to the battery's malign intestinal goo - it still works fine.

cheers!

19. IAE

IAE Member

i use cheap batteries,i buy em by the box to save even more.

zvex ships his pedals with super cheap chinese crud batteries so i think your gonna be fine using el cheapo batteries.
    my zvex pedals still have the same chinese batteries they where shipped with,about a year and a half now. they still read almost 10 volts.

20. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Thanks guys , that baggie idea is a good one .