Use the line out from the amp or mic it?

Badfrog

Long story short, I've got a BeatBuddy pedal arriving today and I'd like to use it in conjunction with my Boss RC-3 looping pedal to make my own backing tracks. Normally that's not a big deal but I'd like to add bass or guitar to these tracks.

Most of the time I'll play back these tracks from the Boss thru a PA speaker (which I've already got he necessary cables and whatnot to accomplish that). However, what is going to be the best way to add my bass and/or guitar sounds to the looping pedal? Should I connect the line out on my amp to the pedal or should I mic it and run that to the pedal? Which option is going to sound best? Also, what cables or items do I need to make that hook up? (I've never used line out or a mic)

HerrRentz

You'll have to try it and see. There is no one right way to do it as long as your in's & out's are correct.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
If your amp's line out doesn't have a speaker sim, you're probably looking at using a mic or external sim like a Red Box.

Badfrog

If your amp's line out doesn't have a speaker sim, you're probably looking at using a mic or external sim like a Red Box.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a speaker sim. What kind of cables would I use to connect amp to the speaker sim and then the speaker sim to the looping pedal?

riffmeister

I prefer a microphone (SM57) to the my Mesa Cab Clone. That said, there are better units available than the Cab Clone for getting the amp direct into the PA......

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a speaker sim. What kind of cables would I use to connect amp to the speaker sim and then the speaker sim to the looping pedal?
Probably 1/4", depending on the equipment involved. You'll probably also need a power soak if your amp doesn't have one and you want to run the amp without a load (cab).

Last edited:

nsureit

Old Guy...but not too old
Gold Supporting Member
An emulated line out from a guitar amp is generally loaded with a speaker-sim signal. However, the sim sounds usually suck.

Use a mic.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
An emulated line out from a guitar amp is generally loaded with a speaker-sim signal. However, the sim sounds usually suck.
My experience is different. Most of them sound surprisingly good.

nsureit

Old Guy...but not too old
Gold Supporting Member
My experience is different. Most of them sound surprisingly good.
That's good to hear. My experience with two expensive amps, one a Marshall TSL-122, were underwhelming. Some amps are just meant to move air.

Trending Topics