Use Zoom G3 to boost volume, but not change sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CactusWren, Apr 18, 2016.

1. CactusWren

CactusWren Member

Just a shot in the dark. I play nylon-stringed guitar and would like to have a lead sound and a strum sound. Ideally governed by one-tap thing to change it. Have not really found a satisfactory solution. The "Boost" effect seems to unacceptably boost the mids. I had been using the Graphic EQ effect as a boost, upping most of the frequencies and having the volume higher than the others. Didn't really work that great, either; the volume differential isn't high enough. Any other ideas?

2. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I use a Zoom A3 exactly for this.
    I play a Godin Multiac and Cordoba C5 into the A3 and use the boost for solo.
    It also has anti-feedback filter and many other effects if needed. Works great for me on nylons and steel both.

[​IMG]

3. WillLane

WillLane Member

You might could use one of the compressor effects to up the signal. There is no "more volume" effect on the G3 other than the booster that I am aware of. Maybe keep the gain down low and level high?

Maybe just get an actual clean boost? TC Electronic Spark Mini.

4. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

Use an expression pedal with a minimum of 70 and maximum of 100

WillLane likes this.
  5. CactusWren

CactusWren Member

Lots to think about. I am a bit leery of getting the Spark and then finding the same mid-boost effect I hear with the G3 version. I am also starting to think I should have got the A3 instead of the G3. I just liked the idea of having an on-board backup looper!

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Try the opposite approach. Set up the guitar amp and EQ for lead volume then use EQ in pedal to pull back volume and adjust EQ for same apparent sound just at a slightly reduced volume. Easy as cake.

7. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

On the EQ, boost ALL of the frequencies equally (just a notch or two). I did that on my G3 and it worked great.

8. CactusWren

CactusWren Member

I will try that--never would have thought of it myself.

9. CactusWren

CactusWren Member

Yeah? That's how I've been doing it for the most part. It seems to me that maybe some get missed or otherwise boosted too much. I don't know...

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

And when you do this might consider adding a compressor to the vol cut patch also. It can help keep your lowest volume/pick attack up to same or close to same level while it will limit the loudest volumes. Looks like G3 has a rack and M comp module that would work for you. Never touched a G3 so it's comps may stink for all I know, but worth a shot.

CactusWren likes this.