• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

used 59 Bassman LTD - good $$? thoughts?

reverber8

Stopped into GC on my way home last night and noticed a minty looking used Fender 59 Bassman LTD in the used section (noticing some better used stuff there lately). Ticketed price was $699.00. I didn't plug it in to avoid furthering my GAS temptation. I'm not in the market for a new amp right now plus the whole economic situation is making me be more careful about impulsive purchases.

Now I find myself still thinking about it and I'm considering going back to check it out. I'm one of those 2 amp guys and use both a Fender DRRI and Vox AC15TB at the same time. Mostly a single coils with Fender Jazzmaster/Strat/Tele and Gretsch 6120DSW/Power Jet. I recall reading and hearing good things about the Bassman LTDs and that they are a good pedal platform and play especially well with Gretsch guitars. When I picked it up it last night it seemed pretty light for an amp of it's size which is a major plus. I've always had a thing for tweed and blonde coverd amps

What's the general consensus on these?
Is $699 a good used price?
What about pairing it with my DRRI or AC15?
Any other thoughts?

pacomc79

The fender bassman is one of the best amp designs ever. The LTD is one of thier best reissued versions of it. They do take pedals well. $699 is probably ok but you might be able to get it for 650 or so. Considering the price increase though it might be a hell of a deal where it is. GC does tend to be on the high side for used gear

It makes an excellent clean or dirty amp in that setup depending on how you want to go. . I also like the Vibro King too because it still does the bassman thing even with only 3 speakers and you get reverb and tremolo but that can be easily remedied on the PB.

Personally the LTD is one of my favorite production amps for what it's worth.

Last edited:

shark_bite

GC's used prices are usually at the high side of average range. That said, that's not a bad price for what you get. For what it's worth, here in town there are two RI's at a store I was at last week both selling for $850-$900. They're older, with the Eminence blue frame speakers instead of the Jensen P10Rs, but neither is in exceptional shape. On the other hand, they've both been there for a while too.

I've gotta say... I was having trouble unloading a Custom Vibrolux Reverb when the opportunity came up to trade it for my Bassman. I figured the Bassman would be easier to unload, so I went ahead and made the trade. Got real excited when I realized the guy had traded me a super limited edition factory reliced amp (they only did 2000 of these), figuring it might be worth even more still. But, before putting it up on the block I took it to a couple gigs and realized pretty quickly that this amp wasn't going anywhere. Such a great amp.

Side note, my buddy is in the middle of a move and somehow accidentally brought the wrong (broken) keyboard amp to our gig last night, so he called me up and asked me to bring something he could use. I brought the Bassman. He was using a Hammond XK-IIIc and a Yamaha Motif and he was thrilled by how good it sounded. So I guess it's good for guitar and useable for keyboards and bass as well! Who knew?

69strat

Get real..... $699... How much cheaper can it get for such a great sounding amp ! Buy it.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
I think that is a good price, plus no shipping or hassle with buying it used elsewhere. Agree that the LTD is the best reissue so far for the '59 Bassman from Fender.

52ftbuddha

I have been thinking of putting mine on the block and between 600 and 700 is what I was after and about what they sell on Ebay for mine is also mint. I would suggest you are getting a good deal on that one buy it before it is gone. Local helps, no shipment.

rob

Jman60

A friend of mine has one and it's a great sounding amp. $699 is not a bad price either and if it where me I think I'd grab it before anyone else does.
I already have a 65 Dual Showman and if I were looking for another Fender amp that would be the one I'd get.

Pa'ani

Silver Supporting Member
That's a pretty decent price for a excellent amp especially for a '59 Bassman LTD!
I had one of those for a while then recently traded it in for a Victoria Bassman 45410 at a local G.C. I definitely came out ahead on that deal!
Victoria Bassman 45410 (IMHO) are one of the best Bassman type amps out there in production today!
If you can swing it, I say go for it.
It is a great amp one of Fenders better re-issues to date...Good Luck.

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
You WON'T be disappointed with a Tweed bassman, even a reissue. These are wonderful amps, and they are far more flexible than you would think. Great tone, low volume, even better tone at settings above noon on the volume. Love pedals, four 10" speakers fill up a room but retain clarity and punch. Hard to beat that amp, especially at that price...

You do realize that a new one of these today is nearly $1700 ?!?

Pamunkey

i thought those older amps sold for more than that! i have a 1962 Bassman (brownface) amp and cabinet inherited when my dad passed and out of curiosity checked ebay, and the bid was $1200 when i checked.

heavypick

I had one and sold it. Saw a cheap one recently and contemplated it but the no reverb thing kept me from pulling the trigger. Although that can be worked around obviously. My greater concern is that it's a PCB amp rather than point-to-point. How much of an issue is that in regards to reliability?

52ftbuddha

I have to say the PCB on this amp is not a reliability or service issue. I am probably a contrarian and do not agree with Gerald Weber ideas of radiating fields on pc board traces. I think the real ugly in PCB construction is when the tube sockets are mounted to the PCB itself and then become a mechanical connection to the tube transmitting vibration one way and heat the other. With the Bassman the tube sockets are chassis mounted with leads to the board. I think the biggest fear in PCB construction is the density of components and the use of smaller parts.

rob

notpetrucci

I had one fall down a set of steps and I played it that night.

These thigs are built like tanks.

Fender's best amp since the Silverface Vibrolux.

Go buy it.

-Jon

reverber8

Thanks for all the info and recommendations.
I went back and played it and it sounded really really good albeit at low volumes.
However, I had to pass on the purchase as it's just not in the budget now.
GC couldn't do the 6 or 12 month same as cash deal on used gear and there are other things for me to pay off in the next few months.
Too bad as I really liked the amp's tone and vibe.

I did manage to find and pick up a used but minty Danelectro Cool Cat Tremelo pedal for $20. Great pedal at an amazingly low price which made me feel better about having to pass on the Bassman LTD.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
There is not shortage of Bassman RIs on the market at any given time. I think they have been around long enough to prove their reliability.

How different are the LTDs with the original RIs? I had a 1993 that was just great, but traded it at some point.

shark_bite

There is not shortage of Bassman RIs on the market at any given time. I think they have been around long enough to prove their reliability.

How different are the LTDs with the original RIs? I had a 1993 that was just great, but traded it at some point.
LTD: Lacquered tweed, tube rectified, Jensen speakers, has bias pot.

RI: Non-lacquered tweed, SS rectified, Eminence blue frame speakers, does not have bias pot.

That's about it.

Trending Topics