Used Buying Help: $600 SFPNR vs $500 DRRI vs $700 Mojo PR clone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TeleStratJazznJag, Apr 28, 2015.

1. TeleStratJazznJag

TeleStratJazznJag Member

Hi,

Which used amp would you choose for the price for jamming with a drummer?

$600 Silverface Princeton non reverb has unknown 12" speaker
    vs
    $500 DRRI stock
    vs
    $700 Mojotone Princeton Reverb clone with 12" Celestion G12

Thanks!

2. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

It's hard to say without knowing a whole lot more about each of these amps, and what your real needs are.

The DDRI is the value leader in this comparison, and can always be improved with a different/better speaker and/or tubes. Of course the others can be improved as well, but the DDRI has so much more power than a SFP(non)R that I'd dismiss the SFP(non)R out of hand. I don't know much about the Mojotone PR clones, but if the drummer is on the loud side it seems like the DDRI may be the only solid choice.

Now, if portability is an issue, and the Mojotone has a pine cab that changes things.

The SFP(non)R has an MDF cab, so it's going to be kinda heavy for what it actually produces, volume-wise.

Ignoring volume and portability and just looking at which has the best "pure tone", it's still hard to say which amp is best on paper. The DDRIs aren't bad, and are maybe a speaker and tube swap away from being pretty darn good. The SFP(non)R w/unknown 12" is impossible to judge -- does it need servicing? Is it a crappy 12" or a great 12"? The Mojotone, too, isn't easy to judge. I am not a fan of ceramic magnet Celestions in most PRs and prefer Jensen-type speakers, but obviously some folks like that Fender-by-way-of-Celestion sound.

Sorry, I guess that isn't much help...

3. sliberty

sliberty Member

I love a non-reverb Princeton, but they won't compete with a drummer unless you drive them hard with pedals, and then you lose the cleans.

A PR "might barely" compete with a drummer, but it depends on the drummer.

The DR would be best choice given your needs.

But of the three, the one I would want to own is the non-reverb Princeton :)

4. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

I agree with redeyedjim: The DRRI is the best value. It will hold up with the drummer best too.

5. tuj

tuj Member

no drummer, SF for sure. drummer? bandmaster or bassman 100 SF and 4x12.

6. tuj

tuj Member

7. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Get the Princeton, vintage ones are not made anymore, specially the non-reverb versions. You can easily get a DRRI used most of the time. The clone, unless you're keeping it forever, if not you will lose $ on resale.