Used Class 5: what ones to avoid ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sixty2strat, May 20, 2011.

1. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Saw a gc had a used Class 5. So thought I go look at it tomorrow. Since it's used I am a bit leary. somtimes a noise may not be so evident it may start with a more vigorous use . So any idea on Ser# or clues to look for to avoid the ones with potential issues

2. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Look for the semi-open back to the cab. The first version was nearly closed.
    The newer ones (mine was made in sept last year) have tube "retainers" for noise.

Mine does not rattle, but id take it home and crank it...if its good then your good.

3. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

One assumes GC is going to offer some sort of limited guarantee, even on used equipment. I just looked on the GC web site and couldn't find anything specific to used gear... so I'd ask.

Main point is; even if you're the only guy making noise, my experience is that no amp is going to sound the same in GC as it will when you get it home. If other ppl ARE making noise, you may never hear a rattle anyway.

I demo'd an amp at GC one time when there was some fool playing SO LOUD I could barely hear the amp I was demoing right in front of me.

The first round of C5's had, I believe, two piece backs that were rumored to rattle. I had one from the second run, which had a three piece back; top, bottom, with a separate metal grid between. Loved mine but gas made me sell it for something else... sigh...

Unless it were available for a very reasonable price, I'd probably opt to wait for the next generation of C5, which should be available "real soon now."

4. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

If it costs $300........rattle.
    If it costs $500........no rattle.

Is it worth $200 for no rattle?

5. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

What's the deal with the new ones I did not think there were any major changes aside from he head

6. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

The new combo has the tubes hanging down now. This will be easier to change tubes without removing the back, and supposedly they are in a better position to lessen the rattle effect.

I loved my original version. I didnt have any rattle with a decent JJ power tube and a couple NOS 12ax7's.