• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Used gear: Jackson US Select SL2H?

How good is the guitar and are the frets stainless steel? Don’t wanna refret a guitar that will cost me at least 2K regardless of how long it would take for me to get to such point…when I get a high end guitar it better give me no headaches.

I’ve been looking at 2 that go for around 2K.

Only other option I’d consider would be the ESP USA MII NTB (also used) or the Chris Broderick Soloist US Select…but honestly, I’d rather go Jackson SL2H cause at least it is handmade and the neck is speedier. The CB soloist is 12inch radius flat which I am still on the fence cause the Heritage H150 I played yesterday had the same radius and it was killer but I still think my Majesty’s neck was better (17 inch radius)

EDIT: I’d actually also consider a Gibson CS Axcess Les Paul I’ve seen, but a longshot cause I don’t dig single cuts and their bad upper fret access

Last edited:
Going into a guitar purchase and ruling it out because it might need a refret someday is sorta like not buying a car because the brakes might need to be changed at some point.

That is actually a terrible comparison cause I haven’t seen a brake that lasts forever (and if there was one I’d bet high end cars would come with them if they weren’t too expensive) but I know SS frets don’t need to be refret and they aren’t that expensive.

There really is no reason to not have SS frets apart from protecting margins.

cyrusj

Pretty sure it doesn't have SS frets. And I'm the same, I won't buy an expensive guitar without SS frets. As for the brake analogy, if carbon ceramics only cost a slight premium over regular steel brakes, it would stupid to buy regular brakes.

damn this sucks…I think the CB Soloist could be SS, does anyone know?

EDIT: Apparently SS Jescar fret wire is relatively cheap (~20usd)? Is that for real or is there something I am missing (i.e.: need to buy multiple to refret a guitar)

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
I recently picked up a used SL1. HSS vs HH in the SL2. Phenomenal guitars. Jumbo non stainless steel frets.

xzacx

I've been playing US-made Soloists forever and it's my favorite model in general, but the Brodericks are really special guitars and not really like other Jacksons. The pickups are outstanding—if Dimarzio sold them I'd buy sets for multiple guitars. One thing to note is Brodericks are HEAVY. The 7 string I had was well over 12 pounds. I know they can vary quite a bit though, and I'm sure 6s are at least a bit lighter overall. The Broderick has stainless frets (at least the current ones do, I'm not sure if they always have) but in theory the quality should be pretty equal otherwise since they're made at the same place by the same people. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Dont worry about the frets my dude. You will wear them out on any guitar you buy, refret with stainless at that point

Yeah, but the thing is I live in Brazil - not many good luthiers or amp techs out here so I prefer guitars that are as low-maintenance as possible.

But yeah, maybe I am overthinking it - if SL2H + Refret + SS Fret wire < Equivalent Superstrat with SS frets, then it is ok

I've been playing US-made Soloists forever and it's my favorite model in general, but the Brodericks are really special guitars and not really like other Jacksons. The pickups are outstanding—if Dimarzio sold them I'd buy sets for multiple guitars. One thing to note is Brodericks are HEAVY. The 7 string I had was well over 12 pounds. I know they can vary quite a bit though, and I'm sure 6s are at least a bit lighter overall. The Broderick has stainless frets (at least the current ones do, I'm not sure if they always have) but in theory the quality should be pretty equal otherwise since they're made at the same place by the same people. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I have my Schecter Hellraiser DLX that is pretty heavy, but once I sit it is ok. My main concern would be the radius really, I am too used to my 17 inch radius EBMM Majesty - I played a Heritage H150 that had a great neck, didn’t feel at all like the Gibsons and I was surprised it had the same radius (12) as the LP Classic.

The CB is ~3000 and I have found SL2Hs for ~2000 so I am leaning towards the SL2H even if the CB is gorgeous tho

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Do you have a track record of wearing frets out or are you worrying about this because of the internet?

Lots of folks just never wear out regular NS frets.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
EDIT: Apparently SS Jescar fret wire is relatively cheap (~20usd)? Is that for real or is there something I am missing (i.e.: need to buy multiple to refret a guitar)

The actual stainless wire is not the expensive part of the job, it's expensive because a great refret requires years or decades of experience.

SS wire is marginally harder on some tools (nippers, but there are more capable nippers now), and takes a bit longer to work with.

I do understand why you don’t want to worry if you can’t find good technicians.

It sucks. The country is very restrictive towards imports, but especially musical imports - which is ironic considering that the nation doesn’t even have a decent internal market/producers/companies to protect.

To even find anyone to replace the pots on my Mark IV A was a massive pain in the ass. Anyway, sometimes surprises do happen - when considering a USD conversion I managed to get a brand new 2203x for way cheaper than any used one on Reverb (got it for ~1700usd). There are Rectos going for ~1200

Anyway, I go to the US kinda often so I can just do the repair in the US if it doesn’t take long

gunslinger

I don't think it has stainless steel frets. But it's one of the best superstrats made. It comes with an original Floyd Rose.

I think I will buy the SL2H and just eventually replace here in the US with SS frets. It makes more sense financially and style-wise.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom