Used Grosh Guitar for sale-should I get it?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dennisd, Feb 17, 2008.

1. dennisd

dennisd Member

There is a Grosh strat for sale at the local guitar center for $1600. It plays and feels real nice I have not plugged it into an amp yet.

Is this a good price? What are people's opinions on the grosh? I am a Les Paul guy, but this guitar feels real nice to me.

2. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I think you can get used grosh's for less. like $1300 - $1400. that said, if this guitar could be "the one" then grab it.

3. ford

ford Supporting Member

Guitar Center often has 50 percent profit built into used items.... so you can usually get a couple of hundred bucks off... plug it in and if yoy love it, offer 12-1300 and go from there.

bford

4. dennisd

dennisd Member

That's what I figured-that If I was ready to buy then I could negotiate on the price.

I have read the reviews for the Grosh-they all sound positive. How does the Grosh compare to other strat copies (ie Suhr) as well as Fender strats?

5. ford

ford Supporting Member

Grosh RC's are my favorite new vintagey strats if that makes sense. They are one of the top dawgs in making great strat style guitars.

6. creakyknee

creakyknee Gold Supporting Member

I love Grosh guitars and own three. There's lots of good start style guits out there, but my Grosh RC seems to have cured me of strat GAS - at least for now. You can often get them for less than $1600, but if this one has what you want in a strat, it's not a bad price.

7. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

The price has a lot to do with its specs. New RC's can range nearly 1000.00 depending on upgrades, like 1 piece body's, trans finishes, pickups etc. A 1 piece Ash trans finished RC with Fralins would be a steal at 1600.00

8. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

My favorite boutique Strat by quite a bit. If you can get it in the 1300 range and the specs/condition are right for you, jump in. You won't be sorry.

9. onemind

onemind Member

What are the spec's if it's Brazilian grab it. (of course do the standard GC negotiating first)

10. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

If anyone finds a Grosh for $1300 you better not pass it up. Word's out, partially thanks to TGP, how great Grosh's are and I think $1300 Grosh's are just a memory. I don't care how bad I need the money, I would'nt dream of selling my RC for anything close to $1300.00

11. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

$1400-1600 is more like it. Best new strat model around in the under-$3000 category. Mine is Alder body with braz rosewood fretboard. I kept the Fralins in...sound great.

12. lscottk

lscottk Member

About 6 years ago I spent the night in line at Guitar Center before one of their Memorial Day blowout sales and I managed to pick up a Grosh RC for $400.00. I had to buy a case on top of this, but I got an incredible guitar for a steal of price. I had to sit on the sidewalk for 8 hours (I got in line at midnight) but I also picked up an Alembic bass for $500 that I later sold for $2000.00.

The Grosh has a couple of significant dents through to the wood - calling them dings would be too kind. It looks like the guitar fell of the wall or something. But the neck is straight, it's a beautiful purple mist color, and has a really nice Brazilian Rosewood fretboard. It is one of my two favorite guitars.

Being low on money at the time it was a gift to get such a great guitar for such a great price. I love my Grosh. It's a top quality guitar.

13. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I'll give you $800 for your grosh. now that's a great deal for you.

14. fatback

fatback Member

That's about right for here in the Emporium or on eBay, but for in a store $1600 seems pretty reasonable to me.

15. funkle

funkle Member

I love the Grosh necks. One of my favorites - the M/L roundback is nice and beefy. FWIW, they have a nitro finish, which gives them a more vintage look and feel. Not quite as durable, definitely not the pristine glasslike finish. The nitro necks feel a little gummy to me.

16. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Grosh are really great guitars! Play it and if it sounds and feels good to you, then by all means get it...

17. lscottk

lscottk Member

Thanks for the offer Slowburn, but I'm keeping it. I love my Grosh :dudeand wouldn't dream of getting rid of it - though if you put a "1" in front of that $800 you might make me think about it. :)

18. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

I've been thinking about getting rid of an EJ Strat I have. I prefer a smaller/thinner neck. How do the Grosh necks compare to the EJ's. Thinner/larger ?? Thanks, Tim

19. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

1. Plug it in
    2. Laugh like a mad man at the joy it creates in you
    3. Buy it
    4. smile for the next 100 years!

:)

20. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

I always find joy in Mojo's views on life and stuff...!