Used Jaguar off ebay, fake???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kkendog21, Mar 8, 2015.

1. kkendog21

kkendog21 Member

I bought a used 62 AVRI Fender Jag off ebay for 1300. Really cool guitar as I played only PRS before this one. I was looking at the body and admiring it when I noticed the fender logo and everything on the headstock was actually just a sticker. do some jags come with the logo as a sticker?

2. John C

John C Supporting Member

Fender used headstock decals over the finish until roughly 1968 (could be earlier/later depending on model). The AVRI series strives to be accurate to the year, so having a decal over the finish is "period correct" for an AVRI '62 Jaguar (or frankly any other AVRI model with a year prior to 1969 - since they never did anything with a 1968 year in the USA series).

3. kkendog21

kkendog21 Member

Great! Thanks for the info. I was really worried that it might be a fake

4. serial

serial Member

The one in the auction appears correct. A 'sticker' would be incorrect. A decal (carrier film would be visible as decals were applied over the finish on those) is correct. If it's a sticker, that woukd be a problem-the only 'stickers' are the ones on the serial # neckplate.

5. serial

serial Member

Fakes are easy to spot.

No one seems to know what they're buying anymore.

6. kkendog21

kkendog21 Member

I was pretty sure it wasn't but not 100%. Also thought for a moment that maybe just the neck was replaced. :jo