Used MIM Strat Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ken, May 9, 2016.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I might be looking around to pick up a used MIM Strat.
    Any hints on what to look out for in the used market.
    And are there any specific years or models to stay away from?

Thanks

2. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Nothing really to be aware of, MIMs are a great value. Just check out truss rod and other "owner adjustable" items to make sure nothing is stripped out or damaged.

3. B Money

B Money Member

in 2006 the spec changed, they got bigger frets, bigger trem block, and better pickups.

Pre-2006 have vintage frets. I'm not a fan of those.

4. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

I'd look for a used Jimmie Vaughan.

There's still some good ones used for $400 or even less.

But a lot that are way overpriced too.

Be patient and look for a used one for $400 or so.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  5. scott944

scott944 Member

When I picked mine up a few years ago, I spent one Saturday playing every one I could find. 4 stores and around 15 guitars later, I had my project, for only $225. It wasn't my first choice - the one I liked best was on 30 day hold at GC, and I'm an impatient so-and-so. Several years, and MANY mods later, I just love it.

[​IMG]

T Dizz likes this.
  6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Pay $ 500 if you have to for a used Jimmie Vaughan.

Great package with super top notch components, nice neck, cheap body (but who cares about the body?).

If you buy a MIM Standard, look for a 2009 (some 2008s also) and newer as the fretwork, board finishing and other factors are nicely upgraded.

Before 2006 you get a Joke trem block on a MIM Std., that will need to be replaced and it'll eat up the money you thought you saved.

7. Ken

Ken Member

Thanks for the advice!
    I saw some interesting MIM's on Reverb, just not too comfortable buying without playing first.

8. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Those are great but have a V profile neck, which can be a deal breaker for some.

9. Ken

Ken Member

Ouch...that's a deal breaker for me!
    Thanks

10. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

It's a soft V. And larger than vintage frets.

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I think the pre about 2001 are great guitars... in some ways. But as mentioned if you don't want to change pickups etc, or have to have big frets, then the later might fit you. The Jimmy V neck is a very flared V shape... nothing like a Clapton Soft V and feels very different. You either like it or you don't I guess. I had both at the same time. The JV has little "shoulder"... it kinda just flares out in a V shape. It felt harsh on my hands. The Clapton shoulder is more like a U shape with a soft V back.
    Time is your friend. If you look long enough you may find a nice Mexistrat on Craig's list for $200.

12. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I wouldn't buy one without getting my hands on it first. I've found that you have to turn over a lot of rocks to find a gem with these guitars...it's all about bonding with the feel of the neck, the resonance, etc. Once you find the right one, it's great. I bought mine for $300, put a Callaham trem and Grosh pickups in it, and I like it better than any standard American Strat I've played.

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

No V?

Look for Classic Player 60s Stratocasters, and for Robert Cray models if you can accept a Hardtail. And for Kenny Wayne Shepherd models if need a trem.

14. scott944

scott944 Member

Joke trem block? - yes! (Mine is an '02) Expensive to replace? Not necessarily. I put a GFS brass block on mine (don't do this if you want to whammy - the brass is very soft - mine is decked and non-whammied) for around $25. Does the job - mellowed the high end a bit and added sustain. They make a steel unit for the MIM trem, as well.