Used my strat instead of PRS w/ mixed results

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Mar 26, 2007.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

This weekend I used my SRV strat for two wedding gigs instead of the PRS I normally use. I have used the PRS so long that I had just gotten attached to it. The strat really sounded good on stage and very versatile. The strat tone really fits our music beter (R&B, motown, etc.), However, it sounded thin out in front of the mains. SHould I tweak at the board or use more amp volume? I'm using a Dr. Z Maz 38 2x12. Anyone ever experience this?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I always find this to be true when switching from buckers to single coils. I usually tweak the amp settings, but if your stage sound was good see what you can do with EQ at the board.

3. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Just go back to the PRS?

4. xroads

xroads Member

I assume you have a mic in front of the 2x12 to go to the mains?
    If so, I would adjust the eq setting on the main board, if you are happy with the sound of your amp & Strat.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

This makes sense.

I use a Fulltone Fat boost on occasion, partuclarly when using my BFDR without the Rivera Sub1. Works great.

http://www.fulltone.com/FB.asp

stratzrus

6. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I'd like to stick with the strat. It's tone coming out of my amp fits our music better. It just didn't sound very full through the mains.

7. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I used a 57 to the side but angled towards the middle of the cone.

8. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

You should probably experiment with the mic placement too. It can make a bigger difference than you might think.

D

9. Miles

Miles Member

Try re-thinking some of the EQ on your amp, mic placement, and just general EQ through the PA. You might up the mids on your amp, put the mic slightly off-axis, and beef it up in the mixer. You'll have to find your spot for the strat. Personally, I use an SG and a strat, and if one is lacking, I'm able to re-adjust the voicing on the amp itself to make all the necessary difference.

10. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Good tips all around.

If you had a good sound/sound you were happy with on stage, along with mic placement (which can offer many diff tones), you might consider whether or not you were getting/experiencing false lowend resonance/standing wave psychoacoustics on-stage - thereby giving you a fat sound on-stage, but a 'truer' (maybe thinner) sound out front.

Just yet another of the many diff issues to deal with in live music.

There's a particular club that I play in occasionally, and the only 'good' place to set up my rig gives me a huge, booming lowend on stage - I totally hate it, makes it hard to play/work/have fun/etc - it sounds fine/great/whatever out front, but makes me crazy on stage. I've tried many things (and continue to) to change this, maybe someday...

11. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I've always thought it would be cool to have a wireless just to use for a sound check.

12. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

ANybody use a wireless just to soundcheck?

13. Stratosphere

Stratosphere Member

Did you try dialing in more mids on the amp? I use a bit more when using straight singlecoils.

14. Luke V

Luke V Supporting Member

Don't angle the mic, run it straight on at the outside edge of the speaker and eq the board to taste. Maybe even a different mic. 57s, 412s and e609s all work well for me. Audix d2 also works well.

15. lbw

lbw Member

Other than obvious ones like some more EQ on the board, I would suggest using two SM57s or try a small diaphram condenser mic with greater low-mid spectral spectral response.