used prs price?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by boblazz, May 30, 2015.

1. boblazz

boblazz Member

ive been trying to sell my 2013 prs 408 mcarty tobacco sunburst for a while. im asking $1800. its like new. sits in its case most of the time. am i overpricing this?

2. FennRx

FennRx Member

Prs guitars have terrible resale. I tried selling my sc245 and the best offer I received was $900

3. ixnay

ixnay Member

This has been pretty much my experience as well.

4. jecars

jecars Member

YMMV but my experience in Seattle is that PRS resale is about the same as Gibson or Fender...about 50% or so of original retail.

One difference I have found is that used PRS buyers seem to want the guitars to be excellent/mint condition, while road/playing wear on a Gibson or Fender is more widely accepted without further discount.

5. TheLastMaya

TheLastMaya Member

Do you still have the guitar? Can I see some photos. I can double the best offer if its in great condition...

6. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

Yep, I have a limited edition Sunburst 245 all-nitro finish with factory-modded coil tap 57/08s in the Emporium. No cash offers on TGP so far, just trade offers. I've had a few offers on Reverb, but this guitar was expensive when I bought it new!

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

Sometimes it just takes time with bi-weekly bumps on Craigslist. I friend of mine sold a like-new bass on craigslist recently, it was an okay deal for anyone looking for that bass new and okay with the color. It just took about 6 month for him to find that person.

8. ixnay

ixnay Member

Assuming you mean MAP/street when you say 'retail' (retail usually refers to MSRP), that sounds about right for PRS from what I've experienced.

I haven't sold any Fender for a long time, but when I sold a few Gibsons a couple years ago, I got closer to 70-75% of MAP for those.

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

PRSi are weird. The resale is terrible unless it is the couple weeks every few years I feel I need one, then values seem to jump $300-$600

sixesandsevens and xzacx like this.
  10. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

Then have I got a guitar for you! :rotflmao

11. archey

archey Member

Every PRS I have ever owned I bought used. When I eventually sold them I made money on them! I never buy guitars new.

12. jecars

jecars Member

Thinking about selling my ES-335 Dot Fat Neck. Bought it used for $1700, you have given me hope that I might make a couple bucks.

13. Jay K

Jay K Member

Kind of goes with the idea that you don't see PRS making relic'd guitars whereas both Gibson and Fender do. It just doesn't fit the brand. I like my PRS guitars mint and shiny.

14. jrw32

jrw32 Member

PRS Standards, being all mahogany, always sell for less than the fancier/figured maple tops, even new. I would say most PRS guys are looking for the maple tops.

FYI - I sold my 408 Standard in like new condition for $1500 last summer, & it took a while to even get that. Good luck.

15. boblazz

boblazz Member

good to know.

16. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Friend of mine bought a 408 Std recently for $1500. Great guitar.

17. Bogner

Bogner Member

Show me your 335 and get me some info on it. I am looking for another one. PM me please.

18. standard24

standard24 Member

I think all higher priced guitars are a tough sell right now. Moneys tight.

19. jecars

jecars Member

Bogner, I tried to start a conversation with you but got error message saying "not allowed" from your end.

My 2012 ES-335 Dot Fat Neck is antique ebony in color and in great condition. No repairs, no dings, no fret wear. Some swirls can be seen on back in the right light but nothing through the finish anywhere. All stock. 50's Neck is the desirable feature, 0.93" thick at 1st fret, 1.03" thick at 12th fret. I would only consider local sale in the greater Seattle area. If you are close by and interested, PM me.

20. ixnay

ixnay Member

I would think so. Last two ES-335s I sold were regular ES-335 Plain Tops (MAP $2800ish) and I sold them for $2200 (VSB) and $2255 (Cherry).