Used R9 Market Saturated?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Glide, Apr 8, 2017.

1. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I stand corrected.

2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more.

GuitarsFromMars and enharmonic like this.
  3. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Me too. Every ding would be like -$500 :eek:

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  4. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

Aren't the thumbwheels and tailpiece studs incorrect too?

27sauce likes this.
  5. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

I've owned roughly 5 post '13 and about the same number of pre '13 with considerable time spent with others of both eras. The most memorable have been '07 and '10 R0s, both factory other than swapped pickups and RS electronics kits. A '13 R7 goldtop with the same mods and Grovers would round out the top 3. The biggest post '13 spec I notice is the finish and color and that's only because it's obvious. Post '13s are nice because they have a nicer case, you can get an R9 top for R8 money, and it's cheaper if you ever send them to Historic Makeovers.

6. KenG

KenG Member

You know that the wood species in Fiji is Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) right? It was transplanted over 80 years ago by the British who had some foresight so while the place of origin has changed the species really hasn't. I believe the truss rod condom kept the truss rod from getting glued when the spline was inserted into the fretboard. As for it damping vibrations I call BS because my lowly 2010 R7 has tone for days, it was changed purely to add to Gibson's Historical accuracy list that's all. Next thing you know they'll start mounting the tailpiece crooked and using wonky tuner placement like on the originals (due mainly to average workmanship and hand work) and some one will then declare these sound better.
    You are entitled to your beliefs and opinions of course but you aren't stating it as "your opinion" you are stating it like it's a fact. Quite a difference. You're talking to people that own these things so we have our "opinions" too.

And I would certainly consider a post 2013 if I liked it, and it would be an R8 simply because they have more figured tops and lemon burst finishes are more plentiful (unlike pre-2013), so purely for cosmetics, not because I think they're better guitars.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  7. soulohio

soulohio Member

please link to the exact wiring harness or parts that you used. I want to change the harness in my LP

8. enharmonic

Glide likes this.
  9. rsm

rsm Member

I find the Gibson LP designations confusing: USA, Custom, Faded, Standard, Traditional, Classic, T or HP, yadayada...then the R8, R9, R0, etc. then, it seems to vary by year... is there a feature comparison chart? o_O

Cruciform and cutaway like this.
  10. finwhale

finwhale Member

you guys might not agree with my viewpoint on the sound ...but there is one sound where you will hear a differnce and thats the sound of Ben Franklin's hitting the table if you want to sell . someone agrees with me as the pre 2013 bring much less money on the used market - check Ebay for yourself

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

12. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Always wanted an R9. But I look at the R8's, and seems like I can get a great player with the same hardware for fewer $$$. Gotta research the prices, but damn...I love LP's.

13. enharmonic

I'm not sure, but I'd bet the folks at RS or Throbak would know.

soulohio likes this.
  14. cherrick

cherrick Member

The entire used guitar market is super saturated (see Reverb, and the classifieds here). Sucks for sellers, but those are the facts.

R(*) sellers are fighting a losing battle to stave off the inevitable price decline, but they're trying to sell into an over-saturates market and it's not going to last long. Want to sell that R(*)? Drop that price.

I'm lurking and waiting for the bubble to pop (again).

15. Glide

Glide Member

Me too. I see a few that I want. I have the money, just not paying it until it starts dropping a bit......

16. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Used prices definitely need to come down some. Most used 2013 R8's I see for sale are priced higher than what I paid brand new.

17. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

If true, that would be a great reason to buy pre-2013.

hunter

18. guitarjb44

guitarjb44 Supporting Member

I am curious about this: why would a '99 R9 appreciate in value, while a later year model, which has more accurate 1959 features (for example: nylon nut, pointed corners on fretboard inlays, no-wire bridge...) be worth less? I see that this is the case but it seems backwards to me.

Thoughts?

Joe

19. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

The prices might go up in a couple of years based on some insider gibson info. I will not repeat why as the thread I posted about it was deleted. Nothing is definite though, so gibson might change their minds and the prices may not go up.

20. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Fewer of them, production was much lower in the 90s, plus a lot of them had mega tops. Personally, I hate most of those outrageous flame tops.

mustachio likes this.