Used up all the inputs in my PPII... need two more inputs. Now what?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fast ricky love, Apr 5, 2008.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. joeDRII

joeDRII Member

Do you have a TU-2 on the board? That can power some effects.

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Y connectors from Voodoo Labs. Dirt pedals need about 1/10 the power 1 outlet has so using more than one pedal on each is ok.

4. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Another PPII? ;)

I know for me, I connected a small power strip to the courtesy outlet on my PP2 to connect a couple of wall-warts. Of course, now those pedals are not on isolated outputs, so I tried to connect my quiet ones to the power strip. That courtesy outlet has more than enough juice.

I guess you could connect a daisy chain from one of the PPII outs, and just make sure you connected it to pedals like loop boxes or tuners that probably don't draw more than the 100ma together or the 250ma if you use outs 5 and 6. That might not be the best idea, but short of having to buy another PPII.

5. triple_vee

triple_vee Senior Member

or a 1-spot for powering pedals off of one power supply if you know all the pedals play nicely with each other.

6. stratmaniac

stratmaniac Member

Daisy chain out of an existing PP outlet; it works fine. Stompin' Ground sells Y-cables with one lead ground lifted (I use one, sharing a Keeley looper and a boost pedal). As said above, observe the current draw limit for a particular outlet.

7. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I ran into the same thing and after weighing all my options it was just easier to mount a second PP2 under my board and be done with it. All the other solutions I've seen have compromises and plus I wanted everything isolated.

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Y cables are like $10. Another PP2 is expensive.

9. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

Not to me.

10. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Good for you. :rolleyes:

11. Steven

Steven Member

I use Y-cables on two of the outlets on my PPII to power two boxes each. As long as you think about the combined power consumption of the pedals. Dirt boxes often draw a low amount of current. I havnent experienced any problems with my setup.

12. fast ricky love

You guys rock! Again! :)

So here's what I have on my pedalboard, I only have one dirt box so what else can be grouped together?

Strobostomp (which has an a power input so I reckon I can put the dirt box into this and only need to get one 'Y' connector).

Zendrive 2 (will go into the Strobostomp)

Pedalworx Wah

Sweetsound Mojo Vibe

Maxon FL-9 flanger

Analogman Mini-Chorus

Maxon AD-900 (needs it's own channel specific power input)

Barber Tone Press

Chicago Iron Octavian

Verbzilla or a TRex Room Mate (not sure which I should get yet - from what I recall the Verbzilla would need a specific input too).

13. neil99

neil99 Member

One spot daisy chain adapter, 10 bucks at GC. A lot of pedals don't draw nearly 100mA that each PP2 outlet can supply. Kind of blows the advantage of the isolated transformers, but much cheaper than another PP2. I use one for all my OD pedals, haven't noticed any additional noise issues.

I hacked one up and put a couple of the plugs in series instead of paralell, and use it for 18v using 2 PP2 outlets.

14. fast ricky love

15. sense_of_henry

sense_of_henry Member

Daisy chain. There is no way you are using up all the available mA.

16. jero

jero Member

As far as I can see you should be fine with one PP, you have 8 outlets:

1. Strobostomp
    2. Pedalworx Wah
    3. Sweetsound Mojo Vibe
    4. Maxon FL-9 flanger
    5. Analogman Mini-Chorus
    6. Barber Tone Press
    7. Chicago Iron Octavian
    8. Verbzilla

Power the Zendrive 2 with the oultet on the Strobostomp and power the AD-900 with the outlet on the back of the PP. No Y cables needed :)

17. fast ricky love

You're right Jero except the PP will be underneath a pedalboard and I want the outlet on the side of the pedalboard to feed into the outlet on the PP... I like to plug a mini fan into that for gigging...

18. Steven

Steven Member

I would try to power the Tone press and the Octavian with a Y-cable. If thet doesnt work I would try the Wah with either the Octavia or the Tone press.

19. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The Octavian is most likely positive ground, so it needs a separate output. The Strobostomp uses 80mA max, so I'd keep that on its own output as well (as it is already fairly close to the limit).

The Tone Press, wah, FL-9 and Mini Chorus all have reasonable current draws, so I'd try those in various combinations, until I find one combo that works well without any additional noise.

The cable you need is a regular daisy chain cable (plugs wired in parallel) - not to be confused with the series Y-cable used to combine two outputs for 18 volts.

/Andreas

20. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Yes, I find daisy chaining just a few is fine, or using the TU-2 is fine, or mounting a power strip alongside the PP2 for a few one spots and using the PP2 courtesy outlet all work.