Users of 59 Bassman LTD as pedal platform. Tell me what dirt you're using?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by demea26, Apr 30, 2015.

1. demea26

demea26 Member

...and how your amp settings are dialed in.
    Are you playing out or home player?
    What guitars?
    I'm experimenting with pedals and would like to zero on on a few specific ones vs buying/trying them blindly

I love Marshall sounds and already have a DLSMkII and OCD. I also use a Soul Food and Keeley SD-1 that's a left over from my 1987x rig days.
    I also play in a cover band that does a lot of Foo Fighters...and other cover songs played in the style of the Foos.

Thanks!

2. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I had one, it liked the OCD and DLS MKIII... I think I liked the Keeley Mod Blues Driver with it too....

You must have a strong back to lug that puppy to gigs. :anon

3. MattyBucks

MattyBucks Supporting Member

I'm interested in this too. I just got one of the bassman reissues and I'm still figuring out which pedals work well with it. So far my Fulltone Plimsoul sounds best at lower amp volumes. Fuzz faces sound great with it if the amp is really cranked, which is normal. How does the soul food/other klones sound with it?

4. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

I have a 59 RI Bassman, and I went threw a fair number of pedals with it before discovering one I absolutely LOVED with it. The Zvex Distortron. Or Zvex Box of rock if you don't need much gain and sub controls.

The Box of Rock is meant to sound like a Marshall JTM45 turned all the way up. The Bassman circut was based on the JTM45, so I bought it hoping it would work out, and the demos sounded great. It turned out working amazingly for me...so much that I have a BoR and Distortron running into my 59 RI so I can run one at lower gain and the Distotron on the high gain mode.

5. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I love my 59 Bassman RI LTD. The Fulltone PlimSoul is my primary dirt, and I kick in different flavors of fuzz from time to time. See my sig for all my toys.

6. Timmay!

Timmay! Member

I'm using the '59 LTD as a clean platform at home. 90% of the time I go treble booster (always on) > DLS MKIII (always on) > ... > '59 LTD. I sometimes switch out the treble booster for a Fuzz Factory, or the DLS for a Galileo (more compressed sounding than the DLS, less volume on tap even at 18V). My main guitar is an LP BFG with P90 neck and Burstbucker 3 bridge, traditional wiring harness.

Switching from my previous amp (Laney TT20 with 1 x 12" Greenback, run with the same pedals/guitar), I found the '59 LTD to be overly bright (and very heavy/loud). My research told me to expect that, so I was prepared to make some tweeks. I swapped out the stock 12AX7 in V1 for a 12AY7, and that tamed the harsh highs (that were compounded by my love of treble boosters) and made the volume control more usable (it still jumps from off to on, but the on volume starts lower). I then swapped out two of the stock Jensens for two 10" Greenbacks which brought back some of the mids I was missing from the Greenback in the Laney, but without sacrificing the clean tone. I love how the 4x10 open cab can fill a room.

I'm curious to try a pair of Alnico Golds together with the Greenbacks, but there is only room for 3 celestions in the cab.

7. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

How's the clean headroom on the 59 RI Bassman? depending on how much headroom there is, certain pedals might work better than others.

8. Timmay!

Timmay! Member

Btw, does anyone else have trouble bridging the bright/normal inputs? The chassis on mine is slightly misaligned with the cabinet so that the input jack in the corner is too close to the cabinet to plug anything in! I mostly use the normal input, treble, bass and presence pretty much off, and with the mids set pretty high. Similar settings on the DLS MKIII too.

9. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

Rockett Pedals tend to play very nicely with the Bassman... I have the Blue Note, Chicken Soup, Guthrie Trapp, Led Boots, and Archer. They just react very nicely and sustain and sing out very well.

The Barber Gain Changer works great too, and I run it as a mid-gainer.

Any of the Klon-flavored pedals work well. I've tried the Archer, Sick As, KTR, Arc Klone v2 and Soul Food. If you like the darker more wooden tones they fit well.

In fact most pedals play pretty well with the Bassman. I run a Keeley Red Dirt for a lead boost and it's great. The Zendrive / Simble / Big Bloom types work great. I even like the Morning Glory and Prince / King of Tone with it. Some of the Wampler stuff is better than others.

As for clean headroom, it is pretty good for a tweed Fender, but it won't compete with a Twin or Super Reverb. Definitely more clean space than my Twinolux.

Lastly, for weight, I honestly don't think 50 pounds is a heavy amp for a 410 that puts out 40-50 watts. Seriously, hoist around a Marshall half or a Vox AC30 or a Twin Reverb or even another Fender 410 with a reverb tank. The Bassman is pretty darn manageable in my books.

10. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Mines like that. You could loosen up the screws and move the chassis a bit I'm sure, but I just bridge normal 1 into bright 2 if I'm gonna do that.

I'm still looking for a gain pedal that sounds good running into the bright input. I like the jangly cleans of the bright channel with a strat but most gain pedals are pure fizz

11. Class5

Class5 Member

I like my Lumpy's Germ Class A OD through my '59. Skreddy's P19 sounds great too, but the LMMD wasn't as impressive. I haven't had my amp that long so I've only tried a few. I've bridged the channels, but I just prefer the normal channel, and I have the Treble at about noon, Bass at 11:30, and Mids at 2:30-all with a strat loaded with Blu-rock pickups.

As to the weight of the amp as someone mentioned, it is a welcome relief to lugging my TRRI!

12. fishlog

fishlog Member

I had a ltd bassman for years... I found what ever dirt I put in front of it sounded great! Everything from a DS-1 to a DSL to a interstellar overdriver, j-drive, d+, OCD anything! And in the five plus years I had one I tried a lot of ODs. They really let you hear the pedal for what it is. Delays and chorus pedals really shine on them though. The amp is such a great palet for effects. Amp settings to taste.

As far as head room goes... I'm not sure about people saying there's not a lot there. Mine would overdrive at volumes that would shake my house, make pictures on the wall rattle, things I had sitting on the amp would fall off and in no way could I jam or ever gig with it at those volumes.

13. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

Mine is misaligned too. I actually contact the seller after purchase and told them and they gave me a discount because it was "blemished." I've had the thing for years and never heard of anyone else's like this, hmm. I can still jump them, its just a tight squeeze. I only use the normal channel anyway though. While mixing in the bright channel was nice and crisp by myself...I found it was too bring when turning the amp up to band volumes and putting a mic in front of the speaker.

14. Upgrade

Upgrade Member

I used to have a 59 bassman LTD the dirt pedal that sounded great to me was the Seymour Duncan twin tube which I believe John McLaughlin uses

15. Dolflundgren

Dolflundgren Member

I'm using a Morning Glory, a Charlie Brown and a Chellee Odie as my dirt.

My amp settings are:

Plugged into Normal 1, Normal 2 jumpered to Bright 1, Normal and Bright volumes about the same

Bass: 9 'o'clock or so (pretty low, tons of bass in this box)
    Mids: Noon to 3 o'clock or so, depending on the time of day and whatnot
    Treble: 10 o'clock to noonish
    Presence: Pretty high, in the 2/3 o'clock range

Ish

16. OilsFan

OilsFan Member

17. King Rat

King Rat Member

Anything fulltone, mad professor or boss.

Any pedal and setting.

18. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've used a wampler paisley, klamac elmo, and way huge green rhino with great results. I get the best results when blending the channels and when I'm using a lot of gain, I turn the bright channel down and the normal channel up until I get a nice balance of thickness and not too much treble. Great amp.

19. demea26

demea26 Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Glad to see all the different options!
    I just picked up some pedals in the Emporium...a Mad Professor One (second time around with this pedal) for the heavier stuff, a JHS modded Bad Monkey (third time around for this one, but first time with a modded circuit) and a Keeley DS-1. I love love love my Keeley SD-1...so I have hi hopes for this.

I also have the issue where jumping channels is a bit tight where the Normal input meets the cabinet. It works though.

I've found that running through the normal channel only give best results in controlling the brightness...but I also have the Blue Alnicos. Does anyone else have those speakers or do you all have the Jensens?

20. fancychords

fancychords Member

I use a sampler 57 tweed always on. You may think that's redundant but it gives me my tone but more of it. For overdrive a euphoria and for over the top a made prof. Golden cello. Then into a flashback.