Users of switching systems or loopers: dealing with pedalboard space/size?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shakkal, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I'm seriously considering getting a floor pedal switching system (eg. Octaswitch, GigRig, Musicom, etc) but I'm afraid of ending up with a pedalboard larger than I would want to deal with. In the past I've downsized from an NGM Standard to a 24" wide NYC Pedalboard due to size and weight.

Those using one of those systems, or one of the multiloop passive loopers, do you just get a larger board to make it fit, get rid of some pedals to make room for it, etc?

I'm interested in any creative ideas that somebody might have implemented to save pedalboard stage surface area especially. I don't know, since everything would be controlled from the switcher maybe something like a two level board where the "set and forget" pedals are placed in a lower level under a lid on top of which the pedals that could require tweaking are set, sorta like a rack drawer within the pedalboard itself ... or whatever. Thanks for any input.

2. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Nobody? :(

Do you just deal with the increased pedalboard size? One of those switchers is at the very least the size of three or four normally sized pedals. Somebody must've thought about some space saving solution ...

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I use the Bradshaw switching system. The pedals are all in a drawer in a rack. I only have the RP10, a wah, a vibe and a tuner on the board.

4. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Thanks, that would be another option to consider, maybe more efficient than the switchers I've been thinking about in terms of saving floor space, but it would add an extra item to load and unload since I currently don't use a rack.

5. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

I love my WOBO ProgLooper. It has much more functionality than a plain old multi looper and the size works well for me. My board, with the WOBO on it, is 30"x16". I also have a couple of larger pedals on the board, a Stage Hog and a ModFactor. The other unit that is pretty small is the Musicom, which I have also owned. I like the ProgLooper better.

6. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

Shakkal,

This is a pick of my board with a voodoo lab pedal switcher and commander. Hope this helps. I may eventually go to rack set up like GAT is using.

[​IMG]

7. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

simple and effective way of saving space:
    [​IMG]

8. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Thanks for the input!

Dennis, I read the GigRig thread about why you preferred the ProgLooper over the Musicom, thanks for the insight.

Jason, nice tidy board ... I'd be using some bulkier pedals though like a Timefactor and an original Electric Mistress. I do use the same tuner which doesn't take up much space ... and Jay's built-in switch idea could be a good option for a tuner mute A/B switch.

9. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

I really like my Axess Electronic MIDI controlled stuff. Putting your pedals in a rack, although would be one more thing to carry, would keep them safe from spilt beer and people falling into them.

10. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

I know exactly what you mean. I just got word from Daniel that my GigRig shipped yesterday, which I am hugely excited about! However, I've resigned myself to the fact that this will make it necessary to shift some of my pedals onto a smaller satellite board. For me this is preferable to getting one huge board. As an aside, I think that Voodoo Lab system shown above looks pretty cool. I like the fact that it seems to only take up slightly more room than a couple of large loopers.

11. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I'm still thinking about a double decker board ... a front row with the switcher and a couple other pedals, and a double deck second row where the effects on the lower deck are the set and forget ones. Or putting those set and forget pedals underneath a Puma-style board, just like you would hide a power supply. Could save area, definitely not weight.

12. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

28x16 vs 23x11, not that big a difference for me (just 'kinda big' vs. 'pretty small')..

No solution here, just realizing that I only use a maximum of 5 pedals + wah + volume..
    the Musicom is about the size of 3 T-Rex/MI Audio/TC pedals, of which I have 2 (used to have 3)..
    The Musicom board is 28x16, my non-musicom board is 23x11..
    actually the non-musicom is 13x9, but I have to take the EB vol + RMC wah into account..
    Ofcourse the Musicom board has the advantage of being 'set and forget', no separate wah/volume to plug in..

I'm using 2 boards, both have about 4 to 5 pedals (+ wah + volume), 1 is equipped with a Musicom switcher.
    I like it a lot, programming it (loops + MIDI on 2 channels + CC's + everything..) and using it is a breeze. I especially like the 'mute' button, it's cool..

Board 1: "The cutting board"
    23x11
    RMC3 ->SD9->TR-2->Pitchblack->Phase90->SCH-1->eb volume/pan->DD-5

28x16
    535q->Musicom EFXmkII (SHO/Kentana-boost, Tube Zone, CE-2+GE-7, Replica) ->FV-100L + TU-12

the width of both boards don't differ that much...
    the depth isn't bothering me that much; I just like it to throw the 23x11/13x9 board in my gigbag (which the 28x16 isn't really able to conform to..)

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Something like this?

[​IMG]

14. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Good info nitefly, thanks ... I seem to be leaning towards the Musicom so that helps.

Jakeddy, that's still an option ... the cost would be similar between an all-in-one pedalboard based unit, and a controller + rack system, so in a way it's a matter of deciding if carrying the extra item (rack) would be too much of a hassle or not. As of now, like I mentioned, I'm leaning towards the first option ... seems simpler to carry around and setup. I have to research about the pros and cons of each a bit more, though.

15. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I had a rig built around the Axess GRX-4, in a case with my pedals, and then had just a midi controller out front.
    If you play a lot, sing and play, or have a big group with not-alot of floor space, this is the way to go! I miss that rig!

With my big band, playing bars, there was mighty little room to spare for big "carrier-deck" size pedalboards.

If you have the WOBO, (which looks great, BTW) you must commit to a large board because the pedals hook into the same box with the switches. If you play in a trio, play weddings, studio gigs, or just play at home, this is great. Everything's just right there. The trade-off is it is big and heavy. If you have a feeling you won't like a heavy board, you should listen to that feeling.

Also, are you the kinda player who sets his effects and just needs them turned on/off? Or do you like to fiddle with the knobs while you make music?

Of course you can use MIDI and have the pedals and controller on the same board, but separating them gives you more options.

16. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Thanks for the insight. As a matter of fact, I hate bending down and tweaking during the gig, I just frequently need to turn more than one effect on/off at the same time. And I ditched my NGM board for being bulky and heavy.

17. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

18. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Yeah ... I've used those strips before too ... I also had this thing built for me by Loooper a few years ago: http://www.loooper.com/5LABYoutsBlendVolJBlk.JPG

... so I'm pretty sure that I like gadgets like those and that the passive loop option is not automated enough for what I like to have (as usual not necesarily what I need). I found that the particular loooper up there took away too much space ... it's size is rather similar so the Musicom switcher, hence my posting this thread. I was using a NGM board back then and it was very heavy even without any pedals on it (also too large with the "convenient storage area" being a waste of space IMO) so that's one big change of scenario from then to now.

19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I dig my Loooper because it flat out does everything I need it to do perfectly. Carrying a larger pedalboard won't kill you (if it will, hit the gym ;) ).

[​IMG]

20. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

That's the spirit, I guess! ;)

Actually at the time when I ditched my heavier board I was going to the gym pretty regularly, and was in pretty good shape ... now I've become more of a lazy bastard so I guess I'm screwed :messedup

It's more size than weight that I worry about ... small stages, you know.