Using 1/8" cable for non-audio connections

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaytiz25, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jaytiz25

jaytiz25 Member

Do any of you modders do this? I'm considering adding separate preset/tap tempo jacks to my Nova Delay and Nova Modulator pedals, and using a 1/8" jack would save a lot of space. I figure I can either build an external momentary pedal (or two) with a 1/8" out or a 1/4" jack and just use an adapter. Am I missing anything? I understand that it makes sense in the market to use the types of cables most guitarists have lying around, but is there any reason not to use 1/8" cable/connectors for custom external pedals/expression pedals? Interested in experiences/opinions. Thanks.

2. bt2513

bt2513 Member

There shouldn't be any issue with the functionality. Id say the primary concern is longevity of the cables. Most 3.5mm jacks are molded and even diy they would be difficult to repair. I foresee them breaking easily if they were to be stepped on, dropped on, or have significant tension applied.

3. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

I used them for all the Fave expression pedals for the Neunaber pedals that I built. I had no issues at all, and never heard any complaints.

4. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

I try to use 1/8 for all my passive boxes.
    Cheaper and take less space.

5. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

This is pretty much what I'm doing as well, I'm building a custom TBL with 2 Neunaber like ExP units built into it, in order to save on space and still be able to use external expression controllers, I'm using 3.5mm jacks instead of 1/4", I couldnt put expression jacks in the enclosure I'm using otherwise.

6. jaytiz25

jaytiz25 Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think the only issue that I may have in this case is that I'm doing a preset/tap mod for a couple pedals (Nova Delay/Modulator), and I've gathered that it won't work if either of the connections get grounded. I.e., I may not be able to use a 3.5 mm jack due to the un-isolated sleeve. If it were a simple expression pedal I suppose I could just use the Tip and Ring, and just leave the sleeve out. Looks like an isolated 1/4" TRS jack must be the ticket. If anyone has other suggestions, let me know. Thanks!