Using 2-point trem on body drilled for vintage (6-screw)?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Lavely, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

I like buying used stuff. There are LOTS of used bodies for sale that have had "vintage" 6-screw trems on them, but relatively few that have been drilled for 2-hole trems (Wilkinson, etc.). I am new to building partscasters, but I would like to build a few with 2-hole trems.

My question: The 6-screw trems looks like they have relatively small holes in the body. It looks like you could simply drill the two larger diameter holes over the 6-holes, and frankly, just leave the extra holes. Forget cosmetics, I'm worried about structural issues. Does this work OK?

I'm hoping yes, which would open up the world of bodies I can consider. I know I could also fill the holes and repaint or touch up, and I may do that as well. Mostly curious about structural issues.

Thanks in advance!

Joe Lavely

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it might be a pain if the new hole was almost centered over the old hole, to where you had a hard time keeping the drill centered (there are steps to take, primarily plugging the old hole) but otherwise probably not a big deal.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I made an aluminium template that screws to the body by the inner screws and centres the outer two for an Am Std two post which is pretty much the standard for two post trams.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

nice!