Using 6V6's in a Two Rock Jet

From what I understand a Two Rock Jet/Jet Sig can run either 6L6's or 6V6's. I wanted to try a pair of 6V6's in my Jet today (I would ask Two Rock but it's Sunday). Does anyone know what to set the bias to for 6V6's in a Jet/Jet Sig? Anyone try 6V6's in their Jet, what should I expect? Thanks!

guitar4529

Hello,

I just did this to my Jet this past week. I talked to Mac at Two-Rock and he said the max setting for a Jet/Jet Sig with 6v6's is .055 volts.

To my ears the 6L6's are harsh. Too much treble. I had to turn my treble all of the way down when using 6L6's (not necessarily a feature of the amp, but a personal preference of mine.) Switching to 6V6's eliminated this. They are warmer to my ears. Smoother transition into overdrive. I installed a 40-50 year old set of RCA Blackplate 6V6 tubes and really like the change from the stock TAD 6L6's. I think you'll be happy with the change.

Happy New Year,

Josh
www.instereo-band.com

trap

Gold Supporting Member
Hello,

I just did this to my Jet this past week. I talked to Mac at Two-Rock and he said the max setting for a Jet/Jet Sig with 6v6's is .055 volts.

To my ears the 6L6's are harsh. Too much treble. I had to turn my treble all of the way down when using 6L6's (not necessarily a feature of the amp, but a personal preference of mine.) Switching to 6V6's eliminated this. They are warmer to my ears. Smoother transition into overdrive. I installed a 40-50 year old set of RCA Blackplate 6V6 tubes and really like the change from the stock TAD 6L6's. I think you'll be happy with the change.

Happy New Year,

Josh
www.instereo-band.com
it's not the 6V6's that warmed it up. it's the blackplates. 6L6 blackplates would be warmer and less harsh also.

guitar4529

it's not the 6V6's that warmed it up. it's the blackplates. 6L6 blackplates would be warmer and less harsh also.

True. However, I have also used a set of JJ 6V6's that had a similar effect. Not as warm, but warmer than the TAD 6L6's.

Ud Reks

So, what about EL34s?

Sorry for bumping an old thread. Wondering if anyone plays Jets with EL34s? The manual mentions them, but does not advise one way or another.

Anyone?

KOG

The Jet & J2 are note designed or socket wired for EL34's - don't do it!
A modification would need to be done with these amps to accommodate EL34's.

Ud Reks

The Jet & J2 are note designed or socket wired for EL34's - don't do it!
A modification would need to be done with these amps to accommodate EL34's.
Thnx, I don't own one, but I do have a very expensive collection of EL34s.

It's starting to figure into my potential amp purchases these days. I don't like to see my NOS Siemens just sitting around.