• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Using a 1/4" female/female adapter with an attenuator?

KRN123060

Gold Supporting Member
Messing around with an attenuator with a combo. The speaker cable is not really long enough. If I extend it with an adapter will the adapter (typical barrel adapter) handle the load? Or should I make a new cable to go to the speakers? I guess the base question is will that adapter handle a normal load from an amp to the speakers?

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
It uses the same type of tip connection as the amp and cab, so should be fine.

jthomas666

Just to be careful: The adapter/extender can't be one made for a guitar cable.... hopefully you already know that.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I use those barrel F-F adapters often to connect a combo to an attenuator. Just use a good quality adapter.

Ry@n

Just to be careful: The adapter/extender can't be one made for a guitar cable.... hopefully you already know that.
What does that mean, though? These are just connectors we’re talking about, not cables, so it shouldn’t be any different, should it?

jthomas666

A guitar cable has a tiny wire and cannot take the current that drives a speaker. Lamp cord works fine for speakers.

I'm assuming that the adapter has a section of wire in between the female to female plugs.

Last edited:

ZEN Amps

If you use a good one you'll be fine - just always test with the amp running very low to ensure you have a solid connection before cranking up.

They have no internal wiring.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
A guitar cable has a tiny wire and cannot take the current that drives a speaker. Lamp cord works fine for speakers.

I'm assuming that the adapter has a section of wire in between the female to female plugs.
Actually it’s not that. It’s the fact that the return conductor in a guitar cable is a shield.

I've never trusted the double females for speaker connections. I made my own out of an old electrical box and 2 switchcraft jacks.
+1 to this.

I’ve use an adapter in a pinch at home at low volume. But for any serious use, I run through a “junction box” that I made with property sized wire and high quality jacks.

Like anything else, it’s all relative. Running my Laney LC-15 at home on 2? No problem with chancing an adaptor. Running my 1964 Vox AC-50 cranked on 10. No way.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
It depends on the existing length of speaker cable provided with the combo amp and how far away the attenuator will be located. In my scenario pictured below, the internal speaker cable of the combo was long enough as is to connect to my attenuator mounted inside the cabinet. I then routed a short speaker cable from the chassis to the other end of the attenuator. In this case a F-F speaker cable adapter wasn't needed to extend the length of internal speaker cable provided.

But, if I wanted to locate my attenuator away from my combo amp, I could have used a F-F cable adapter to effectively extend the length of the internal speaker cable to wherever I wanted to locate my attenuator. This sounds like the OP's situation.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member

Trending Topics

Top Bottom