Using a Behringer powered monitor as FRFR with Helix?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by standard24, Dec 6, 2017.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

In a previous thread, someone suggested that using a cheap speaker with the Helix is a waste of it's sound quality. JBL and QSC seem to be popular.

I've been using a Behringer 12" powered floor monitor as my FRFR... My ears aren't as good as they used to be. Am I losing much sound quality with this cheap Chinese speaker? (It actually sounds pretty good to my ears...)

This one... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/F1320D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

You might be referring to my post. If you're happy, stick with what you've got. It might sound better through a more expensive speaker but why mess with contentment?

3. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Go with what's good to your ears, not what's more expensive.
    I've been using a Helix with my Yorkville YX10P and its great. I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Elantric likes this.
  4. Stokely

Stokely Member

Yeah if it works for you stick with it. But I can say that I gave one of our mains (QSC k10.2) a try at practice, because I forgot my own cheap Chinese speaker LOL (an ebay special branded as Podium Pro)....and the difference was profound. I should mention that I play keys, which have a much broader dynamic range than guitar. My cheap speaker doesn't do well at all with piano, just like many wedges and all keyboard amps I've tried---but that QSC was crisp and clear, the attack was spot on. I could hear the fx on my patches very clearly, whereas that kind of detail was lost before.

I use IEMs at most gigs now, so it's not worth investing in a new speaker...but I think if I was using a speaker at every gig I would be trying to swing a K10.2.

Unlike you though I have never really been happy with my speaker(s)...they distort too easily, are heavy and just don't sound that great. But I've gotten my money's worth, two of them for $300 or so and they've been through many a practice and gig!

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Seems like it would be a good system to use on paper. A pair would be even cooler I suspect.

I don't use anything fancy, personally. I have a pair of Carvin 3-way PM153 speakers for the band's PA which doubles as my guitar/bass amp.

6. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

I use a couple of these with S-Gear in live performances since 2007. Sound great and never ever failed me, not even after well over thousand performances.

HTH,

Judge Smails likes this.
  7. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

8. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Yeah, I use a cheapo Harbinger powered 12-inch speaker with my Helix and it sounds awesome. If you like it, stick with it. Someone else can always suggest something that leaves you poorer, but not necessarily happier.

9. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

This has been my experience as well.

The difference between the Behringers, Altos, etc., and the premium powered PA speakers is very noticeable, and becomes more evident the harder you drive them.

However, the less expensive speakers still win in terms of bang for the buck. You pay about 4x as much for the good stuff, but only get about 25% more performance. The irony is that I feel the same way about the Helix vs less expensive modelers like Amplifire and latest Zoom Gn series...

10. Spec

Spec Member

Initially I was using a 10" powered Behringer. It was OK but would distort on peaks sometime. Noticed that the limiter/clipping light came on quit a bit.

Now I'm using a Yamaha DBR10. It sounds much better and has plenty of headroom. I mostly went with it (vs. others) because of the weight. I was concerned about the power rating but it's way loud and clean. It has switchable EQ curve to use as a monitor that works well.

11. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

If it sounds good, you're good to go.

One word of caution, it's much harder to blow up a guitar speaker in general than to hurt the high frequency driver in a PA cabinet. There's generally built-in limiting in most of these self powered cabinets, but I can tell you from experience that if you stress the High Frequency driver too much by driving the cabinet into clipping with a distorted guitar signal, you will most likely damage it. It won't happen all of a sudden, but it will happen if you repeatedly push the envelope of the cabinet. Program music or a clean signal of a persons singing voice puts much less stress on the HF driver than a guitar.

Just see where the cabinet first starts clipping, and back off 20% or so, and you will be in a fairly safe zone. Looks like the wattage is a pretty good match to the drivers in that unit, so I think you have a winner.

Make sure you use a few cabinet models from the Helix and pick the one that works best. Don't have any 'Pre-conceived' notions about what 'Should' sound good. Use your ear.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  12. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

I also have a Harbinger powered 12 from GC I will use with my Helix ( when I get it) my question is. ... Are you guys bringing your own powered speakers to gigs or Using theirs? Most places we play have really nice PA equipment.

13. Stokely

Stokely Member

I always bring mine just in case when our band doesn't run sound. Typically things are in a bit of a hurry, and we usually don't get a chance to talk about stuff with the sound company before we have to set up and go. Even if we did, I'd bring mine just in case. Sometimes I set it up and then just use their wedges if they sound fine. Like you say, often the sound companies have good (and rugged) gear so as long as we have time to dial in a monitor mix I'm good. As an aside, I got a rock'n'roller cart a while back and that thing is golden for those horrible, long distance load-ins--it's easier to bring my speaker when I don't have to carry the thing :)

Those are typically outdoor gigs, the clubs we play almost never have a PA (or they have one but don't want us to use it). With today's light and powerful PA equipment, it's way easier and almost faster for us to set ours up anyway. Everything is snaked and mounted together, we can go from cars to first note in maybe 25 minutes if we bust ass, and that includes a couple rows of lights.

14. standard24

standard24 Member

I never thought of that... Besides, I turn the high frequency knob way down anyway. I don't think my guitar is putting out much in the way of high end.

HaroldBrooks likes this.