Using a Boss Pedal as a buffer.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brianf, Feb 22, 2009.

1. brianf

brianf Member

Does the pedal have to be turned on or does it function as long as power is going trough it?

many thanks

brianf

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

Generally, most Boss pedals (correct me if I'm wrong and the answer is ALL Boss pedals) buffer the signal when they are OFF.

The thing is, though, that they do not only buffer the signal. They buffer the signal ONCE, then the signal goes through a FET switch, which is a different kind of buffer again, then the signal goes through ANOTHER FET switch, and then at the end, there is yet another buffer.

You're using a shotgun to kill a fly if you're using a Boss pedal just to get a buffered signal.

It is generally agreed (at least around these parts) that a Boss pedal will impart a non-desirable "thin" quality to your tone.

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Got any opinions on the buffers in Visual Sounds pedals? I have one of the original Route 66 pedals that I use sometimes just for the buffer.

4. shaggs

shaggs Member

VS pedals, the newer ones, i hear and have read that they have pretty good buffers.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Most Boss pedals tone suck cause they have poor quality buffers in them. A few like the DD & CE series don't but most of em do. If you want good buffering ability get a decent quality pedal - there's plenty around :cool:

6. sandman

sandman Member

I did a little experiment once, lined up three TB pedals in bypass mode. Cables were decent, some of them great some just ok. Treble loss was evident. Then I put Boss TU2 first in the chain to see if I can rectify this - it got even worse. Did the same with VS Jekyll&Hyde and whoa the tone or MOST of it was back!

There are different buffers on the market but it comes down to what works to YOUR rig. And...don't sweat it, stuff like this can drive a man, or should I say a guitar player, insane!

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Yes, a Boss (or Ibanez) pedal will function as a buffer even when it is in bypass mode. I agree with Skreddy though - if you're looking to only add a buffer stage, adding a whole chain of stuff (like in a Boss-type pedal) just to get at the buffer is a little overkill. However, if you are rearranging the board (moving around existing pedals), or simply want to try what effect a buffer might have first in line, they will do the job just fine.

Some pedals' buffer stages will have unwanted effects on the sound - be it a thinner sound, a "distant" feel or whatever - but some will also surprise you. I used to have various buffer stages first in line - a tc electronic preamp, a home-made buffer stage etc - and ended up with a Korg DT-10... :D

/Andreas

8. brianf

brianf Member

Wow;

Thanks for all the replys. I have just ordered a stand alone buffer from Wampler. Only 60.00.

Many thanks again for the in depth replys.

brianf

9. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have a Boss tuner last in line-will that thin out my tone? Almost everything else is tb, with the exception of an OD808 about midway through.

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Try taking it out and see if you hear any difference. It's your rig and your ears, so you're the only one who can decide :)

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Almost every pedal problem has a solution. Here's how you never again have to have any pedal color your tone when it's off.

BTW, on the rats nest wiring: I had intended to address that after adding the LoopMaster but the darn setup sounds so good as it is, I decided not to change anything else (other than remove the Guyatone delay and replace the Holy Grail with a vintage Guyatone reverb unit).

[​IMG]

12. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I spoke with Robert Keeley about Boss buffer's and he said they were actually pretty darn good. That's enough for me to not worry about it...

Plus I use a VHT VALVULATOR at the front of my chain which reduces the load of the rest of the pedals.

13. wyatt

wyatt Member

Most Boss will work just fine. The whole reason Boss uses buffers was to contact signal loading by pedals that used passive bypass (MXR, EH, etc.) and long cable runs. There is a reason they are still the pro standard for many artists.

People have become totally anal about their signal path and it's ridiculous.

Generally, if a pedal has a negative affect on your signal chain, it's real easy and fast to hear and diagnose. I can think of a few of mine that that were horrid...Boss OC-2, Tube Driver, an old EH Soul Preacher, but tons of other passive bypass and buffered pedals that were transparent when off (TS-9, DM-2, original script Dynacomp). I'm not going to waste time and money by fixing what ain't broke.

14. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

I've never had a problem with the TU-2, but maybe I have tin ears.

15. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Nah, I had a pro rack put together by LA Sound Design and had some signal loss from long cable runs going from my guitar to volume/wah pedals to the rack and they suggested the TU-2 and it works great! For the cost of the whole rig I asked if I should use a higher end buffer, and they didn't see/hear the need for one...

16. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

:agree

17. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

The only pedal that has ever given me problems due to their buffers is wah pedals.

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Many people say running the TU-2 last in the chain is the "wow" factor. Running it first may not give you the results you're looking for

Having said that, in my board when I bypass everything and it's all TB, the signal is thin. When I let in my Boss EQ-20 and my ISP Decimator (they're in the same loop on my loooper; both on bypass), the sound gets full and rich. I don't know if it's one or both and someday I'll test it, but this is my experience

19. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I like my Boss TU-2 at the front of the chain (as I did my Korg tuner pedal too). I think it makes the wah sound better and my BB Preamp. Although the biggest improvement in tone for me was switching to Canare GS6 cables (much warmer than the Spectraflex I was using before)...Back to buffers, I'll admit they do change the tone - but it is a change I appreciate (especially at stage volumes as it seems to smooth things out some). I only use 4 pedals total though, so I'm not bogging my signal down much anyway.

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Wah pedals are normally unbuffered and do NOT want to see a buffer preceding them (rather than causing problems due to their buffers). Same with germanium chip fuzzes. So you put them first.

This isn't analness - it's basic electronics.