Using a Boss TU-2 to Power Other Effects

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Catoogie, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

I'm putting a pedalboard together and interested in using the Visual Sound 1-Spot but I just realized that my TU-2 can be used as a power supply as well. Does anyone have information how many and what type of pedals you can use it to power? Below are the effects I'll be using on my board.

Ghetto Stomp
    Hellbilly
    Yamaha Magic Stomp
    Line 6 Rotomachine
    Ibanez Tube King
    Nobels ODR1
    Dynacomp
    Line 6 DL4
    Line 6 DM4
    Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo
    Boss DM2
    Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face (is the One Spot 9-volt adapter a good idea?)

2. jcm800

jcm800 Member

on my board i power pedals with my tuner, loop selecter and noise reduction pedal. The tu-2 i power my mxr evh phaser, crybaby, analogman comprossor, boss od-20, boss metal zone, mxr mc-401 boost. I do use the onespot to power the tu-2.

Im not 100% sure but i think the tu-2 can power up to 7 pedals. i have six on it with no problems.

jcm800

3. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Thanks JCM800! What do you use to chain the pedals together? The One spot thing?

4. jcm800

jcm800 Member

yah i purchased the 4, 8 link daisy chains from one spot as well. My intentions were to daisy chain 3 of them together and just use one onespot to power the chain, but after i placed my pedals (18 of them) on my pedal board i found it easier to use the Tuner, loop selector, and the noise suppresor to power individual quadrants on my pedal board.

jcm800

5. jtw

jtw Member

I bought one of the Boss daisy chain power thingeys in a pinch about a month ago because i needed to power a few more pedals than I had Pedal Power cables for. So far, it's worked out great. Hey, if it 'aint broke...

So far I use my TU2 to power a DD7 delay, Timmy, and a Durham Sex Drive. No problems yet.

jtw

6. jamo71

jamo71 Member

I use my board to power the TU-2 and the TU-2 (with a Boss daisy chain) powers my Crunchbox, Metal Muff Nano, SRB808+, wah, NS-2 and TR-2 with no issues.

7. eric-d

eric-d Member

Man - for the on the fly - smaller gigs - I have to admit - the one spot/tuner/daisy chain is a sweet way to power a few pedals and keep it compact! My buddy says he gets noise issues from it occasionally - but I really don't get much - I mean - having a Mo'D with the gain half way and rolling my guitar down and using a wah - I'll get some hiss - but nothing to complain about.... For the "blues" gigs (not the usually clean amp old school stuff) I use my Tele - Fulltone Clyde - Mo'D - AM Mini Chorus (For faux Leslie) and my TU-2. The only other pedal I use for these shows is my Super Reverb footswitch....

8. Axe_78th

Axe_78th Member

I may be mistaken but I think the power adapter in and out jacks on the TU-2 are simply parallel jacks. At least they appear that way looking at the circuit board. If so how many pedals you can power hinges on the capacity of your AC adapter and not on the pedal itself. The One Spot is what I use with my TU-2.

9. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

bingo!

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

To rephrase:

Standard Boss adaptor has 200 milliamps. I have no idea how many milliamps the TU-2 uses, so I'm going to guess 50. That means if you power a TU-2 with a Boss PSA Adaptor, there are 150 milliamps left for the other pedals you wish to power.

The TU-2 itself does NOT power other pedals (same with the output jack in the Strobostomp)

A onespot has about 1700 milliamps