Using a crown amp as a bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by countandduke, Apr 22, 2008.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

Just wanted to run this idear past you all.

I have an Eden 4x10xlt bass cabinet when I DO play bass and I like the cabinet very much but I don't really have a great bass amp to use so I thought about using a crown power amp (or any power amp) since realatively speaking, I can get a lot of power from an amp like that. I would just then need to use some kind of bass preamp. I think this will work quite well what do you all think?

Thanks,

Chris

2. doc

doc Member

Good idear.

Should work fine. Your amp may be stereo, but many power amps have a switch to change to mono operation. Pay attention to matching the impedence of the cab to that of the amp.

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

Good point about impedance but I think most power amps like that work with anything from 4-16 ohms. I think Pat Metheny does this with his rig so I am hoping for some nice results.

Thanks again.

Chris

4. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

If I may interject... Since you play mostly guitar, the power amp makes you feel like you are plugging into the PA and that is Blasphemy for a guitarist. No worries. A preamp/power amp is an excellent way to go, and yes the power amps are frequently the same that your band might use for the vocal PA. One of our bass rigs is a Demeter into a Crown Xs700. Your bass tone is all in you and the preamp. No different than when you mic your guitar amp and put it through the PA. If my assumptions were wrong, I apologize. :eek:
    that is a real nice sounding bass cab by the way

5. countandduke

countandduke Member

Thanks for the advice guys, yeah, the eden cabinet sounds really good.

Chris

6. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

our Bass player uses a Line 6 Bass Pod PRo and a Crown power amp. it sounds really good and has power for days!!!

7. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yeah, basically looking for a good amount of power. I have an ampeg amp right now and I'm pushing the amp quite a bit. I'd rather have more power than I need.

Thanks for all input...

Chris

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

A lot of guys used Crowns for bass back in the seventies and eighties, not sure what kind of preamp. I know the original bass player from Kansas used Crowns and he had great tone.

9. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I know a number of guys that used a crown or QSC power amp split to biamp with a bass preamp and sometimes a compressor in a rack using either 2 or 4-10's for highs and a 15 or 18 bottom

10. slipslick

slipslick Member

Igigged for a while, a couple of years ago, with a bassist who used a Behringer V-Pro Bass Modeler as a pre-amp into a QSC power amp. Great tone.