Using a Deluxe Reverb with Jensen p12q 16 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fercaster, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Fercaster

Fercaster Member

Hi!!
    I have a deluxe reverb 65 RI amp 8ohm, and they come with a jensen c12k speaker (cerámic 100watt 8ohm), I found this makes the amp loud and clean. In the other hand I love tones of brit rock Bands, so I thought that changing the speaker for a jensen p12q (alnico magnet 40watt) would spice the tone with a bit of driven clean Sound at lower volumes , and better response with drive pedals too. So I bought one on a US store

The problem is that is a mismatched speaker, it is a 16 ohm one, and the amp runs at 8ohm. I can’t send it back coz I live in Bolivia, so for me is a expensive upgrade[​IMG] and Waited 2 months for it to get out of customs. Son my tech told me that I can use it that way, so What I’d like to know is:

1) what should I expect in tone changes and volume (I never use it at more than 3,5)

2) is it safe to run a 16 ohm speaker without blowing the amp in Long term?

3) anyone with similar experience?

Thanks !!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it'll work, and as long as you don't push the amp hard it should be safe.

it is still the wrong impedance though, and while fenders are famously able to take the abuse of a mismatch it is still abuse.

(now if you wrangled another 16Ω speaker in an extension cab and ran them both together you'd be running the amp at its best with no issues and a lot more headroom)

ChampReverb likes this.
  3. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

The bad news is 16ohms is bad for the amp. And a Q is like 15 watts or so, maybe 20. So the speaker is bad for the amp and the amp is bad for the speaker. And i dont think 16ohms speakers sound good in a mismatch . At low volumes it will be sort of ok but youll never know how close to the edge you are and will always worry you are just about to blow the speaker or amp. Count it as a expensive lesson and get the right speaker. An eminence GB128 is like $60 and will sound great in that amp.

4. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

I prefer impedance matches, and I don’t advise mismatching to the high side. You say you don’t runthe amp past 3.5 on the volume dial. I am going to think that your tech is correct that the speaker is usable with that amp setting.
    I also think that you won’t get to Brit band sounds that way, either...unless you use some pedals. Ime, it is best to buy the equipment that is used by those whose music you want to play.....or something along the same lines.

5. budglo58

budglo58 Member

The 16 ohms is a problem , the p12q is not. It’s rated at 35 watts. I have this speaker in my drri . It’s inefficient and breaks up earlier than the stock speaker which will give you less head room.

Soothsayer likes this.
  6. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

The 1:2 mismatch is OK for a Fender amp, but understand that the speaker offers more resistance for the output transformer and all this wasted energy has to go somewhere. Probably the OT will get hotter and wear out faster. At loud volumes, it might even fry the OT after a long period... So the idea to have a second 16ohm speaker in parallel (ext speaker) is a not a bad one. You could build a small 10'' cab that you would use on stage as a personal monitor or for the drummer ;)

7. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

It will be just fine, don't worry about it. Seriously.

deangardiner likes this.
  8. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

P12Q is great with that amp, would be surprised if it caused any issues as the DRRI is robust.

9. Fercaster

Fercaster Member

The jensen p12q is a 40watt speaker, and I’ll give it a try while waiting another 3 months until a matched 8 ohm jensen arrives (I live in Bolivia), I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ve read that some users even prefer running it at 16 ohms, wish me luck!

10. Leftyman

Leftyman Silver Supporting Member

Looks as if you have a lot of varying opinions. I ran a Twin Reverb mismatched for years with no issues. I pulled 2 tubes effectively changing it to 8 ohms and never rewired the speakers.

11. deangardiner

deangardiner Member

It should not hurt the amp or the speaker. It will run at lower power and may not sound great. You should check the transformer, it might even have a 16 ohm tap, most of them do. If it was me I would continue to use it until I got a replacement.