Using a Dr Z-Z Wreck for cover band work

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vmann, Nov 19, 2018.

1. vmann

vmann Member

Hi.....been a long time since I’ve sought TGP advice and suggestions. Here we go:

Has anyone used a Z Wreck for cover-band material?

Anywhere from country to Van Halen, The Cult and in between?

What effects, if any, are you using...eg pedals or multi FX board (I have an FX8)?

Do you guys set and forget for an all night gig or do you make in-show adjustments?

Any other info/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Jim

2. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Nothing against that amp, but seems an odd choice for cover band work. Would you use an attenuator/powerstation type device? These circuits aren’t known for taking pedals well. They are known for cranking them up and working guitar volume controls. They are LOUD! No FX loop. No master volume.

3. vmann

vmann Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, maybe an odd choice but I’m assuming many players use/used single channel amps w/o FX loop for cover-band work over the years/decades and the Z Wreck would seem to fit in.

Interesting you mention the circuit is not known for taking pedals well. I have read only the opposite. But that would certainly be a concern.

4. MattC

MattC Member

I agree with @Sirloin. Cool amp but odd choice for this application.

An unsolicited suggestion: a Mesa TC50 would be a great amp for your needs — it pairs great with the FX8, especially if you use the MIDI functionality. And it’s very versatile for this kind of diverse cover work. Maybe a bit weaker on the country stuff, but nothing a compressor and some goosing on the clean channel can’t get close enough for rock and roll.

vmann likes this.
  5. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i used a trainwreck clone by a maker well known to TGP in a cover band for a couple of years. i had him install a ppimv which made it work well for me. most of the material was at least slightly overdriven which was easy for the amp to handle. i did not use a lot of fx, mostly a little delay in front of the amp (no fx loop on this one). the circuit really did not like or need any boosting or overdrive. it would not work if you needed a really clean tone though.

vmann likes this.
  6. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Adding my 0.02$...

I think depending on song choices and music style, you could make a Z Wreck work for a cover band, but I would agree it is not the ideal solution. I too play mostly in a cover band and my experience over the years has been that most of the time I play an amp that gives me the ''best possible compromise''. A lot of the pros that are playing their own material can afford to play multiple amp rigs so that one amp is used to it's sweet spot or best application.

But it's also part of the fun of being a gear head, it's trying to make it work! I know it would mean a lot more $$, but something like a Fryette Power Station, would make that same amp really super more versatile and usable for live cover band. Effect loop, attenuator...

On a side note, it's an amp I'd really love to try some day

draelyc and vmann like this.
  7. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    choose your pedals well for cover work - find the right "marshall, fender, vox, ampeg (if your doing Stones)in a box, set up your loud clean channel and go to town. and yes, for country don't forget a compressor. Should work out well. Have fun.

vmann likes this.
  8. grumphh

grumphh Member

Why would you assume that? :confused

That's a bit like assuming that the sky is below the ocean...

9. vmann

vmann Member

Yeah, I get what you’re saying but I’m thinking there are more than a few players that use classic single channel amp designs - eg NMV Fenders, Marshall’s and Vox’s and boutiques - for cover-band work. I realize the Z Wreck is not an ideal platform for doing covers but if the amps core tone is so good (as I’ve both read and listened to) then it should be a good base tone for pedals (or in my case, FX8).

I’m hoping to hear from Z Wreck users that use it as their main amp for gigging covers. And the Fryette Power Station suggestion above is a good one.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Keep it coming!

grumphh likes this.
  10. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Used mine in 3 bands, over about a 4 year period....(had a Brake-lite installed)
    1. My full-time, original "outlaw/Red Dirt" country band .....Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Shooter Jennings, Chris Stapleton, SRV, Motley Crue, Metallica, Blink 182, Nickleback, ect...
    2. The top 40 country (and pop) band I filled in from time to time....Mostly top 40 style pop country with some 70s- 2018 pop/rock
    3. When my 80s hair rock band did a reunion show last year (originally together in the early 2000's until 2007).... Bon Jovi, Poison, Boston, Keith Urban, Green Day, ect...

I set the amp to "edge of breakup" and used a lot of dirt pedals throughout the night! The Z-Wreck eats pedals like a champ, one of the best!

Current pedals:
    Wampler Paisley Deluxe
    Cusack Screamer
    XTS Atomic Overdrive
    Wampler Clarksdale
    Wampler Ego Compressor
    Wampler Tremolo
    Wampler The Doctor (Delay)
    MXR Phase 90
    Clean boost

I no longer have my Z-Wreck (long story), but use a Dr. Z Stingray and Maz Jr the same way, with similar (GREAT) results.

vmann likes this.
  11. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

Reach out at Z-talk, you’ll hit more users.

vmann likes this.
  12. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I have a Wreck...mine was one of the first batch..SN12. It's been a GREAT amp and works for anything and everything. My pedal board consists of a simple array: tuner, OD, Chorus, Fatboost. I had a pedal board power supply failure one night and went direct to the amp and it carried the weight all night. Had it been any other amp in my arsenal that night would have been a bummer. But with the Wreck it was a gas. And 30 watts is plenty.
    You can get the Wreck modded now to cut the wattage in half with a flick of a switch, which seems like a great idea. Mine is still full bore 30 watts. I like being able to control the amp's drive with the guitar Vol knob.
    If you find a good deal on one get it.

vmann likes this.