Using a Gotoh Floyd on a new build spec'd for an Original Floyd

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by scottosan, Feb 5, 2016.

1. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

Do, I prefer the Gotoh, but alot of body makers don't have the gotoh bushings programmed. While I'm waiting for this to complete, I ran across a few article about people simply using the Gotoh with OFR studs and OFR nut. The gotoh bushings a much bigger. I've found a few pics and forum replies of people that say this is easy, especially on a non-recessed build. Can anyone tell me of any concerns or things to take into consideration?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

On a non recess with OFR studs and nut it is a direct fit. It also has a baseplate that is the same footprint but with longer string lock bolts. Swap the bolts for OFR ones and it is a direct fit in a recess rout aswel on OFR studs.
    However;
    The Gotoh studs and locknut are vastly improved over today's OFR ones so if you can use them do. Provide the company that is making the body the tech info from the Gotoh website and ask nicely.