Using a Holy Stain for vocals? (Bonus M9/Cathedral question)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JamesSGBrown, Feb 6, 2012.

1. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Hi, all!

So, I'm gonna be replacing my Holy Stain with either an M9 or an EH Cathedral (opinions?)

However, rather than get rid of the Holy Stain, as I do love the 'verbs, I was wondering if I could use it with vocals for some Deerhunter-esque ambience? I don't want to go splashing out on XLR>Jack converters just to find it doesn't work, so I thought I'd ask you fine people first!!

James

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

For recording you can just set it up in an auxiliary channel and mix it in with your vocals. You could put it before the mic line if you wanted to as well. Great pedal with a lot of uses - the reverb algorithms are impressive. Don't worry about forking out money on jack adapters - they're pretty cheap anyway.

3. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Thanks for the response!
    I'd be using it live mainly (although I do prefer the reverb on it to Ableton's own funnily enough).

Yeah! The whole "unclean" clean setting however got me thinking of getting something a bit more comprehensive. But it certainly has its uses (eg. I don't use fuzz enough to justify buying one, but at least I'be got one if the need arises)

4. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

for whatever it's worth, the M9's delays and reverbs sound great with Vocals!

i used the tape echo with Cave reverb on a vocal and it sounded sooo warm and huge. if i can find the song and upload it, i'll post a link.

5. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Do they sound equally good on guitar also?

Do it! I'd like to hear it.

6. analogic

analogic Member

My band's singer has used a few reverb pedals for vocals (RV-3, Holy Grail, Cathedral, one of the TC Vocal stomps). She ended up sticking with the Holy Grail. Wasn't the best sounding in my opinion, but that also appears to be the one most touring bands favor for vocals.