Using a Super Reverb as an extension cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Trotter, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I was wondering if it would be ok to use my Super Reverb as an extension cab with other amps?

I realize the Super is wired up for 2 ohms, but what if I were to use a Weber Z-matcher set to 2 ohms with an amp head?

Thought I'd ask before I try this!

Thanks.

2. cameron

cameron Member

What do you mean by "speaker input on the Super"? All the Fender combos that I've seen have the cable wired directly from the OT to the speakers.

It'd be a simple mod to give you a speaker jack, though . . .

3. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

Not true. Most all Fender combos from the past have a speaker and extention jack on the back of the chassis. Then a 1/4" jack and wire come from the speaker or terminal block on the inside baffle board.

Only the smallest and cheapest of the fender amps were hardwired.

JD

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes, it will be perfectly safe with the Z-Matcher output set to 2 ohms and the input set to whatever your amp is.

But, since it isn't totally clear from your post, you must disconnect the speaker plug on the Super and plug that directly into the Z-Matcher, so only the speakers are connected to the Z-Matcher. Do not connect anything to the jacks on the amp.

You probably have it right anyway, but you'd be surprised how many people call the jack on the back of the amp the "speaker input".

(And also how more than a few blow things up by connecting an amp head to the 'Extension Speaker' jack on a combo.)

5. Trotter

Sorry, I meant to say speaker output, and yes i would disconnect the 1/4 jack that runs to the 4 speakers. I updated my original post to clarify.

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

That's what I was worried about - absolutely do NOT do that. Never connect one amp to the speaker output of another.

Take the plug that is on the end of the wiring loom of the Super's speakers, and plug that into the Z-Matcher's output, set to 2 ohms. Connect the other amp to the Z-Matcher's input, and set it to the impedance of the other amp.

The Super itself should be off, unplugged, and with nothing connected to the speaker jacks at all.

7. Trotter

Got ya... thanks for clearing that up John!

8. cameron

cameron Member

The one issue you might run into is that the speaker cable in the amp might be rather short.

9. 67super

67super Supporting Member

Just use a speaker extension cable and a 1/4 inch to 1/4 plug adapter between the extension cable and the SR's 1/4 inch plug. I've used another combo's speakers before in a pinch and carry a cable and adapter with me.

10. Trotter

11. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

No, you should not use signal-type couplers like that for speaker connections. They often have problems with contact ratings and can overheat or even cut out altogether. It's unnecessary anyway... the Z-Matcher will happily do the job - just use a longer cable between the other amp and the Z-Matcher, and leave it in the back of the Super.

12. Trotter

I'm not too sure that the plug that is on the end of the wiring loom of the Super will reach the Z-Matcher's output though...

13. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Tape it to one of the speaker frames or something if it won't reach.

It's better to do that than introduce more connections.