Using a VG-99 with my amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ctoddrun, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ctoddrun

ctoddrun Member

I searched for VG-99 and came up pretty thin on results, so I dont know how many folks will be able to help with this one...

I am thinking about adding the 99 system to my live rig with the sole intention of using it for alternate tunings.

I dont need to use the guitar effects or amp simulators.

Is there a way to send the effected signal to the input of my distorted amp and be able to use the tone I WANT to hear (my amp) played with a "virtual tuned" guitar?

I have my rig mic'd through the PA, so that would get me amplified to the front of house, instead of having to plug the output of the 99 directly to the mixer.

Does it work like that or do I need to accept that IF I want to use this thing, I'll have to relinquish my tone and deal with the amp simulations onboard the 99?

2. Mincer

Mincer Member

For the price of it though, you may want to consider transplanting Variax guts into a guitar of your choice. Ive heard nothing but amazing things about the VG-99, but to not use 90% of what it does seems like a waste of money.

3. spentron

spentron Member

Instinct is that it will not be as good as real alt-tuned guitars. It will have to emulate your pickup for each of the 6 strings, shift each in pitch using intelligent splicing algorthms, and then add that all together. Go to the store and see how it does CLEAN 1st.

4. Orren

Orren Member

I recommend you go to Roland's website, and download the VG-99 manual. All your answers are there.

FWIW, I am very interested in this unit, and that is one of my intended uses as well. I've not looked at the manual in a while, but I'm certain that what you want is possible.

Well, first of all, you can turn on or off whatever you want. So if all you want to use is the alt.guitar tunings, just turn everything else off, and all that will be coming through the main outputs is the alt.guitar and nothing else.

However, you can get even funkier than that, if you want a wet/dry mix. The VG-99 has "sub-outs" and you would assign the alt.tuned guitar out the sub out to your amp. You could then, if you wanted to, use the other goodies in the VG-99 out the main outputs, and send a "Wet" signal to the PA, so you could have a wet/dry mix with your amp.

So you actually have a lot of options with the VG-99; as I said, read the manual, and check them out.

Orren

5. Orren

Orren Member

Your idea isn't bad—if you like the sound of the Variax. Personally, I find the alternate tunings and guitars of the VG-series sound far better than the Variax. But that's just my personal opinion.

My recommendation to the original poster go to a Guitar Center, and play both the Variax and Fender VG Stratocaster and see what you think. If you like the Variax sounds, there you go. If you don't....that VG-99 is cheaper than a VG Stratocaster, and far more programmable.

Orren