Using a Y connection to use the pre amp in my head to supply sound to 2 power amps

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by AxeGrinder, Aug 27, 2008.

1. AxeGrinder

AxeGrinder Member

Hello every one. this is my first post here and though Ive been playing guitar for the better part of 10 yrs (off and on) I have never really dug too deep into anything outside of using a head to power 1 or 2 cabinets.

My question is this, whats going to be the best way to use the preamp in my head with two seperate power amps. I have recently built a cabinet with 4 G12T-100 speakers in it. I have two Peavey Classic Series 50/50 Tube power amps coming to me and I was hoping to use them in mono (100 watts) both on this same cab where each power amp powers 2 speakers giving me 50 watts per speaker.

Is it as simple as using a y connection of some sort from my effects loop out to each power amp? Or is there a way to send that signal to one and from that one piggy back the signal so to speak to the other and then all 200 watts to the cab?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. mobis8

mobis8 Member

If so a hotplate set to "Load" would work for that... Then you can use your "y" cable without worring about blowing a transformer...

3. mike80

mike80 Member

It depends on if it is a solid state or a tube head. A tube head needs a speaker load at all times, where a solid state typically doesn't.

If it's a SS head, you would be fine using that setup.

If it's a tube head, morbis8 has the right idea.

4. AxeGrinder

AxeGrinder Member

Its a Solid State

Crate GX900H Its obviously a fairly weak amp only putting out 90 watts RMS at 2ohms. But, I love the sound of it at lower volumes before it starts breaking up. Im hoping the new power amps will solve that problem and maybe add a bit more depth to the overall sound.

5. mike80

mike80 Member

Then you should be good with your Y cable setup.

FWIW, running a solid state preamp into a tube power amp can sound excellent in certain situations.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ummmm..... 2- 100 watt Classic 50/50 's into a G12T-100 4 x12 cab...... I'd do something like that! Crazy but fun. It will obviously be insanely loud. Ive got a 50/50 that I run into a G12K-100 2x12 cab that literally hurts my ears within minutes! Bob