Using an equalizer right after the amp block is cheating?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by kyolic, Sep 6, 2019.

1. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I had a friend who was primarily a jazz guitarist tell me that playing a Strat was cheating... Guitarists are silly people.

Viabcroce and MojoRisin like this.
  2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

:crazyguy:banana

Viabcroce likes this.
  3. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

I remember my grandmother looking at the vibrato bar on my Hagstrom I and saying, "so it does everything for you?".

Viabcroce and MojoRisin like this.
  4. Saxon68

Saxon68 Member

Nope it’s not cheating, it’s using the tools available to you.

Back when amps came out the old timers hated them.

When I was a young’un the old guys used to bust our chops for having long hair. Now I’m old and hate “man-bun” which I refer to as douche-knot.

Same thing, it’s new and out of the box and some will say it’s cheating. Whatever, do what works for you. But I won’t say digital is douchey as I’m 100% in.

milosppf likes this.
  5. Papanate

Papanate Member

Cheating? Is this a joke post? You can't possibly be serious.

6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

When amps came out old timers hated them? What are you even talking about?

7. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

:spit

You made my TGP day guys...

As far as anecdotes go, when Arturo Toscanini's father heard the symphonic orchestra he used to moan... "Africa... Africa!!!..."

8. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Between amp and speakers in the real world (real amps) would just mean matching the impedance and having components that could handle the power going through them at the lowest frequencies. Not an impossibility, at least as I remember my electronics courses from 50 years ago...

9. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

10. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    No, more is required here. Send him to Carousel!

[​IMG]

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Doode and JiveTurkey like this.
  11. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

Studio EQ was full time in slot X on the Kemper.

12. guitarrob

guitarrob Member

You’ve got to do anything you can, to get the best sounds possible - always has been that way - you can call it cheating, whatever, doesn’t matter. Now we have more tools to do that!

lemond likes this.
  13. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

This one's from the back of the rack. Nice! I haven't seen Logan's run since I was a kid.

To the topic at hand: Cheating would be finding someone whose playing gets the sound you're looking for, having that person play in your stead, and taking credit for it (or, live version - having that person play your parts off-stage while you pretend to play on-stage). If you're playing then you're not cheating - no matter what you put in your signal chain or how you get it to work.

Digital signal processors make it possible to do things in ways not easily accomplished with analog gear, sometimes making possible that which is impossible in the analog world. This is a good thing!

Use the tools you have to get the sounds you want.

lemond likes this.
  14. lemond

lemond Member

I use Helix Native as well, and I use 2 EQ blocks per preset just to fine tune some transients the way I want it. Using the HX Stomp live, I tend to be more conservative because of the block limit though, and might not even add an EQ block. Whatever gets the sound you hear in your head.

15. glanum3

glanum3 Member

I used a 10 band mxr in the loop of my Marshall as a solo midrange boost. I actually ran it as a Rhythm cut mid cut and I turned it off solos. So many cables and stuff plug it. Virtual eq blocks only cheat back/brain strain.

16. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer Member

I´d wish.

17. intrinsic153

intrinsic153 Member

As a high-gain dude, I've been finding myself putting the EQ BEFORE the amp more and more these days. Having an EQ before it hits the amp can make drastic difference with gain structure and eliminate a lot of nasty problems that got magnified by the amp.

I found that, with the right EQ moves in front of the amp, I can do even less EQing after the amp. My after-amp EQs these days often only consist tight notch on the high/high mid and low/high pass, largely due to the sometimes more drastic EQ moves before the amp to help the tone 'sit right' from the get-go.

MojoRisin likes this.
  18. runningman

runningman Member

in my limited experience, I've come to the conclusion that the tone you're chasing in isolation has no relationship to the tone which will work in a mix.

it reminds me of the famous Ben Hogan quote that recreational golf and tournament golf are about as similar as tennis and ice hockey. in other words, entirely different.

when you are trying to get a guitar track to sit properly in a mix, there are absolutely no rules. if you need to run it through your toaster oven to get it to work, that's what you ought to do.

MojoRisin likes this.
  19. LolainNB

LolainNB Member

So for those with knowledge: If my guitar signal gets converted to ones and zeros as soon as it goes into the modeler, whatever I do (amps, Eq blocks Cabs etc etc) is really just rearranging 1s and 0s?

Does that mean I should stop worrying about the visual representations? I see a little VOXlike amp icon and I treat it as a real VOX amp. Is it really just something like this?: 10101010011101010101001 and then the Marshall amp in my modeler does this?: 1010010100010101001101010101 then the EQ block changes it to 1010010100010101001102010101. And the global Eq to 1010010100010101001101010102?

CharlyG likes this.
  20. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

That's the 1st grade explanation. :D
    Here's the 10th grade version:
    You play a note and the signal goes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog-to-digital_converter
    Then it goes through about a gazillion of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate
    Then it goes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter
    Then it gets amplified and sent to your speaker(s).
    I got kicked out in the 10th grade so I can't go into any more detail.:(

CharlyG likes this.