Using an external DAC for home MP3 listening- How necessary is it?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by skhan007, Dec 7, 2016.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Question for you guys- If I'm doing most of my listening with an iphone or ipod, using itunes and Spotify, how necessary is the external DAC, like a Dragonfly or an Apogee One? I recognize the caliber of these products as being dedicated external sources for creating this conversion and what's likely built into my iphone or ipod is minimalist by comparison, but can you guys really notice and appreciate the difference in sound quality? I mean, tweaking the EQ on Spotify is really nice, so I'm curious if a DAC is appreciably better?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

If your listening to MP3's I wouldn't be concerned about conversion too much.

NicDo, nondeplume, Lance and 2 others like this.
  3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

It is not necessary.

There's this idea that Apple uses a crappy DAC in the iPhone, which is odd.
    DAC's are cheap, particularly if you're ordering millions and millions of them, unlike whatever standalone box you're considering as a potential "upgrade".

4. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

It isn't necessary. However, it is certainly true that the DAC in my Focusrite interface sounds better than the one in my laptop.

dingdongditch likes this.
  5. blues bird

blues bird Supporting Member

If you are seroius about music you should stop listing to mp3 in the first place. There is really no need to listen to lossy compressed audio formats these days.

6. mute

mute Member

The principle of **** in **** out applies: A DAC cannot make the source better than it is (and unfortunately neither can it fix a brickwalled cd quality source).
    I do not know the quality of the DAC in Iphone, or other mobiles for that matter, but I would be very surprised if they have high quality.
    Also earbuds..... do yourself a favor and listen to a good home audio system with at least cd quality and a source that is not brickwalled to the hilt.

NicDo, BUK, Papanate and 1 other person like this.
  7. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I agree with these posts. On occasion, when time permits and the stars align, I actually enjoy listening to music on the turntable. However, these occasions are less and less frequent. I find that overwhelmingly, I'm listening to digital formats. Makes sense about a DAC not being able to compensate for a poor source.

johan likes this.
  8. mikebat

mikebat Member

We are unfortunately conditioned to listen to music in compromised ways. In these ways, with the compressed file formats in question, a nice DAC is more or less throwing your money out the window.

A nice DAC is worthwhile in a studio environment, listening to high definition tracks, and in a dedicated music listen space/set up with high definition tracks.

9. uraniumwilly

uraniumwilly Member

The Apogee Groove i use on my laptop makes a huge difference for the other investment: my powered speakers.

10. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

I'd get the best speakers and earbuds/phones I could afford and only use lossless files first before worrying about a better DAC!

11. cugel

cugel Member

mp3s are like a low resolution image file. zoom in on a 200x200 pixel image then compare that to a megapixel image. thats what an mp3 is: low low on the information scale. why bother with a converter? turd polishing IMHO. i use them for working out and thats it

12. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I agree with mute.

IMO if you want to improve your listening experience - get better speakers
    and don't use headphones. With standard 128 kbps 44.1K MP3s you will
    hear all the information available - but you won't 'improve' the sound very
    much. The standard 128 kbps MP3 will still sound lifeless and flat - but you
    will be able to amplify the bass and treble more which gives the impression of
    more energy.

An improved audio convertor like the Apogee will not change much if you continue
    to listen on ear buds or headphones.

13. soulohio

soulohio Member

best format digital file> PreSonus USB AudioBox > JBL LSR305

that is the shite mates

14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Get yourself a FiiO E9.
    The MP3 story is well told here:

15. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I would say that a DAC is MUCH more important than losless.. mine make ALL music in all formats A LOT better. I use a Chord Mojo:
    http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/product/mojo/
    Anyone saying that it will not make a difference with ordinary iTunes mp3 downloads or streaming is just plain wrong, or deaf.. at least wrong. even makes a HUGE difference with $30 earphones, mp3, $30 phones with mojo sounds better that, lossless and $300 phones..
    So it is NOT like just zooming in or something like that, it is also an amp so obviously you get a lot more energy into the music, dynamics is hugely improved..
    Of course if the source is bad, meaning that it is mastered i a bad way, there is not anything that can save it.. but a Mojo DAC will make listning to iTunes, CD's, spotify, bandcamp, soundcloud, tidal MUCH more enjoyable.

16. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

No matter how hard you try, You can never turn **** into ice cream. = If your source is streaming mp3, no External DAC will help.

blues bird and BUK like this.
  17. KHAN

KHAN Member

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

It depends on the resolution of your mp3s - if you've got 320K, you'll be hard-pressed to tell them from CDs, in most instances.

A better DAC than the one in your phone or laptop will be an improvement, mainly due to the better analog circuitry which follows the actual conversion.

I think there are many in the $100 range that would be fine for your purposes. You can Google for recommendations.

Fred132, skhan007 and abergdahl like this.
  19. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yeah, I've never been able to hear the difference. Ditto on the HD versus CD spec. Plus all my friends seem to have very little hearing about 16kHz, so we're pretty much fine with whatever.

20. karmadave

karmadave Member

I wouldn't say a DAC is absolutely necessary, but most people are not just listening to MP3's. For CD quality, and better, an external DAC will help your source files sound better/fuller. I have an AudioEngine D1, connected to my MacBook Pro, with a pair of AudioEngine A5+ powered speakers. This is my primary sound system for my iTunes Library and Apple Music.

teleman1 likes this.