Using an HD500 as a MIDI Controller for an Eleven Rack

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Steve Dallas, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Does anyone care to share their experiences with how well this works, how to program, what is possible, what is impossible, etc? I'm thinking about going this route, but would like to know more about how good the combination is.

Thanks!

2. mickslick

mickslick Member

I've been using this setup for 9 months, it works quite well.

3. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

I have my buddy's 11R at my house right now. I'm running it through a Mesa Boogie 20/20 tube power amp into a couple of cabs and it sounds unbelievable. I hate that it requires a MIDI foot controller to use it live, but I may program my HD500 just to try it for a gig or two.

mickslick, do you use mainly one amp model or do you switch around a bunch during gigs? Can you talk through the pros and cons of using the HD500 with the 11R in a live environment? Thanks in advance.

4. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

I ran that setup for the past 10-11 months or so. The HD500 worked fairly well, though it can be quirky with the pedal switch on the HD500 going between volume and wah/expression. The only thing to watch for is to make sure you save the patch changes on both systems as there were times I would add a boost on the 11R and the HD500 would not necessarily see it for some reason. I ended up selling the HD500 in favor of just a MIDI controller.

My advice, if you already have the HD500, then give it a shot. You do have a lot of options such as running the HD500 into the effects loop of the 11R and using it as the MIDI controller or you can use the Looper on the HD500. I would not buy an HD500 though just for the MIDI switching as I think there are better options for that out there.