• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Using an OX live with Low Wattage Amps?

GPNick

Silver Supporting Member
this is quite possibly a dumb question, and if so I apologize. But I have a Greer Mini Chief that I absolutely love, including the cleans (yes I know, but they're kinda chimey!). But obviously those cleans come at a lower volume, too low to play in a band with.

So I was wondering, if I ran the minichief through an OX and then ran the OX into a PA/FOH, would it be possible to use the mini chief at a gig? AKA would its relatively low clean volume output be irrelevant if it went direct out from the OX? Any insight/advice more than welcome!

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
As long as you can monitor yourself and hear yourself, why not? It is a tube and amp will work. It would all be a product of the OX cab/mic/settings you chose but would probably sound great!

Last edited:

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Gold Supporting Member
I ran sound for a small festival and saw a bunch of different guitar players not using the traditional setup on stage!
One guy had an Ox sitting on top of a Marshall head and no cabinet. I just gave him a mic cable. He sounded great!!! Pretty standard LP into Marshall rock n roll tone!!!
The only side note that I’ve heard is that the Ox app runs better on Apple products? I haven’t gotten further than Boss makes a similarly different type of direct out style device?

The ox is always knocking off some volume, even the lowest attenuation setting is still -3db I believe. So factor that in.

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
The Ox is great if you don't mind spending the money. A much cheaper way is to get the Two Notes Cab M+ pedal. You unplug the speaker from the Mini Chief and plug the amp straight into the Cab M+. Next plug the mini chief speaker into the female quarter inch jack on the Cab M+ that says "speaker". Next Plug an XLR cord into the Cab M+ XLR jack. Plug the other end of the XLR cable into your PA system. Lastly, plug your guitar into the mini chief as usual. Adjust the 3-way sensitivity switch on the Cab M+ for best match which might be the center position for the mini chief. Now you have sound coming out of your mini chief amp and also out of your PA system. You might have to raise the mini chief speaker higher up from the floor and aim it at your head to hear it. Since The Cab M+ is not a load box, you must not forget to plug in a speaker into the Cab M+ or your amp will suffer damage. I would try one out first before buying to see if you like the sound of the Cab M+.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom