Using an Ultimate Attenuator to make an amp louder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ricker, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Ricker

Ricker Member

Anyone turn their lil 5 watt all tube prac amp into a 100watt fir breathing monster with the UA.

Or you just want a lil more out of you 15 watter?

Tried it?

R

2. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Haven't done that nor have I heard of it but that is a great idea.

3. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Most UA attenuators will only provide unity gain. However I hear you can get a mod to get a few more DB above unity gain to effectively use as a power boost for a low wattage amp.

4. Ricker

Ricker Member

The UA is obviously a re-amping device of some sort so in the case of a 100 or 200 watt UA it's reducing the signal and then capable of re-amping to 100 watts.........

Theoretically you should be able to take the signal of a smaller amp and re-amp it to the full capable output of the said UA.
    Not just a few DBs.....??

Anyone know what the low-down on doing this or modding this is?

R

5. pepperco

pepperco Member

The WATTAGE DOUBLER 2 option is what you want.

My UA has this option, works great, I dont know
    if this option is still available.

6. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    I talked to Ho about a month ago and it was available then. It is a transformer that increases the voltage to the output. If you need more clean headroom with a low wattage amp this will work nicely.. Get the two volume control version and you can leave guitar rolled all the way up til amp distorts and lower the volume of that as needed then roll guitar down and switch to volume 2 which is set much louder and voila, loud clean tones. Of course you can do this without the voltage increasing tranformer as well, but if it isn't loud enough for your needs at that point you can get this option and turn a low wattage amp into an amp with a lot of loud clean headroom.... or just a much louder amp in general.

Dennis

7. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    This is not exactly right. The hundred watt UA is not the output of the device..it is what the device is capable of handling at the input. The standard model will just bring you up to about the normal output of your amp and then you can turn it down as needed. with the voltage doubler transformer, it will present about twice the voltage to the speaker output, wssentilly giving youan amp that is twice as powerful.

8. soldano16

soldano16 Member

It's important to distinguish Mr. Ho, who invented the Ultimate Attenuator and built all of them through the early years and still builds them but without the Ultimate name and Magus, which used to distribute the UA's built by Ho but now has ii's own units built in China. Ho's have the volume on the left. The Chinese UA's have the volume on the right.

I believe there is a restricted option list with the UA's. Mr. Ho can obviously do whatever custom options have previously been done and maybe new ones going forward.

9. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

My freshly-built Ho has the volume on the right.

10. Ricker

Ricker Member

So by what you say.........it's not a true re-amping device??

I was under the impression that the speakers are driven by the solid state amp built into the HO.

R

11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

The UA is an active device composed of a passive load followed by an amplifier which has a maximum gain of unity. As Mr Aiken said (I am paraphrasing): An amplifier with a gain of one, or an amplifier with a gain of less than one, is still an amplifier (in much the same way that a cathode follower in some tube preamp circuits are a type of amplifier stage even though it has a maximum gain of less than one). It is a 30 ohm resistor that loads the amp, followed by an emitter follower (a MOSFET source follower, a cathode following amplifier) driving the speaker.

So it is a re-amping device that does not typically boost the level. There is a long thread about this that should be accessible via the search function. The standard UA device gives you back a bit less output than unity when wide open and can be decreased from there.

DS

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  12. Belmont

Belmont Member

Ho makes a unit called the "Tone Enhancer" which will amplify a small amp.

13. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Supporting Member

Anyone have experience with his Enhancer ?

His site states that it makes 50W amp a 100W amp (so double the output), seems like a cost-effective device, when one doesn't need an attenuator

14. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Member

Wow, impressive necro-thread.

8len8 likes this.