Using Batteries in your Pedals..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lgehrig4, Feb 25, 2006.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I recently bought a few pedals that only use batteries. Do I need to remove the batteries when I'm not using them? I'm talking a couple days to a week?

thanks
    jeff

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Nope, just unplug the input jack. When not in use.

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Not for a few days or a week. If you are using vintage sytle fuzzes or wahs I would recommend Panasonic carbon batteries(Dollar store variety) as they sound much better in those simple circuits. If you do take the batteries out and use a power supply, I like to put a pice of paper-a corner from an envelope does the trick and cover the battery clip so it does not touch any internal components in the circuit.

4. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that something cheaper is better for a change.

5. dmhflip

dmhflip Member

I'm guessing that the cheaper the better when considering the carbon dollar store batteries? I've always heard about people depending on these for effects, but haven't tried them myself. Is there a huge difference in tone/effectiveness?

6. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I have a couple pedals like that. I had to break down and notch the cases, then wire them up to my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. It has a setting for slightly depleted batteries - perfect for Fuzzface pedals. Otherwise, just remember to unplug them after you're done - and purchase lots of spare batteries (do i sound as if i speak from experience?) just in case....

peace,

jb

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I know there are folks that are okay with it, and I used to do it before, but I just hate using batteries now. You either have to change them out before they are depleted, or else wast them..changing them before they go out. Nightmare for me, be in the middle of a song at a gig, and suddenly that crapped out sound.

Just for the original poster, not sure if you aware of this, but ALL pedals can take a power supply. Just that you have to fudge a little with the ones that weren't designed to.

They make an adapter now that plugs into the plug that you currently are plugging the battery into (I think maybe I-Spot sells them, but others too...or you can actually buy the parts at radio shack and make them) so you plug this in instead of the battery, the other end takes the "barrel connector" that are found on DC power supplies.

You DO have to either leave (if there is one) the battery hatch open, or adapt it, or drill into the casing (which may devalue it if it is a classic, but otherwise seems to me to be added functionality...ought to be able to sell for more!) for the small wires to come out...

Put it this way, if you make it yourself (be careful about polarity!) the hole can be just the size of the wires...because you attach the battery connector, or barrel connector AFTER feeding the wire through...if you buy the ready made adapters, you will have to have a hole the size of the barrel connecter so it can be fed through.

Those are good alternatives. Another trick for you guys that run on batteries, and use a pedalboard...if it is hard to unplug the signal cables, just use a dummy "barrel connector" into the DC input for power sup. This will take the batter out of the circuit (at least in the ones I know about) and save the battery from running down even with the guitar signal cables still plugged in. You just have to remember to remove them when you want to play.

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

OMG this couldve saved me a lot of time when I used batteries! Thanks for the tip, I am sure I will put it to use!!!:AOK

9. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I 've tested my share of batteries..the dollar store variety wins everytime.
    [​IMG]

10. Python

Python Member

At which Dollar store are you finding the Panasonic carbon batteries? I can't seem to find them anywhere. I even went to a battery speciality store and they didn't have anything other than alkaline.

Jim

11. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Cheap carbon batteries are great for dirt (fuzz, OD, etc.), but you're probably better of with a long lasting Alkaline for something like a chorus or flanger. But then you might as well use a power adapter of some sort on those. But save the carbon batteries for the dirt.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I find them all over the place here in Norway. We have a lot of "Dollar stores", and you know what the weirdest thing is?

They have a consumer report show her, and every time they test batteries, Duracell is dead last for reliability, longevity and price.

(I'm not even getting into the kind of batteries for "best sound", sag, etc. just batteries that you would use in normal pedals, Discmans, etc.)

But Duracell is like the only one that advertises on TV, spends tons of money on advertising, think of batteries and most people think of them, they even have recognizeable colors...but they are terrible. I used to use them, and got used to how long my Discman lasted with them because I used it to and from work (I walk to work, at least in summer, and fall) so it was pretty conistent. When I just switched over to Panasonic I must have been getting double or more the time before I had to switch batteries.
    Then I tried Ikea (yeah...IKEA) batteries you get like 10 or 15 in a pack that still cost less than big name...they're big yellow ugly batteries, and they almost as long as Panasonic at way cheaper price.

Just FYI...take a benchmark with some equipment, with Duracell, then try the cheaper brands and see for yourself.

13. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

5 years ago I posted a news report on AA's from a tv news show:

http://www.tedm.com/battery.html

Maybe I'll do a roundup on 9V batteries for pedals. Not for tone, but for longevity in power sucking delay pedals.

14. devbro

devbro Member

Here's a great tip I learned from a fellow TGP member. Rather than drill holes in your prized pedals to allow for external power, simply add some small washers between the backplate and the case to create a small opening large enought to run the adapter plug to your Pedal Power. Works beautifully.