1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

using batteries with effects

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by VoodooBlues, Sep 23, 2006.

1. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

I was messing around tonight and discovered that batteries make my Clyde wah and MJM Blues Devil sound better than the One Spot adaptor I had been using. The wah had more high end and the sweep was more full. Using a battery with the Blues Devil made it sound a bit more toneful as well. Why is it that batteries seem to work better than power supplies with some effects?

2. Ned

Ned Member

I use carbon zinc batteries in my Lovepedal FAB50, and though that might have to due with the fact that it does not have a 9V AC jack, but also I have yet to hear a pedal sound more amp like and wonderfully harmonic than all the rest of my other power adapted pedals. :JAM

3. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Not if you find some ProCell's. Last much longer than the standard batteries. I've had one in my Tim, which I use all the time, for 2 years now and still going strong.

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Truer words have never been spoken here...:(:(:(...its soooo true. Ask John Frusciante...I have 2 PP2+'s but I use batteries instead!!! I think they sound alot better with batteries in them. Frusciante changes his batteries before EVERY SINGLE GIG!!!:messedup :NUTS :jo

5. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I like batteries, but having to unplug my pedals every time an plug them back in so the batteries don't drain is a pain.

Fuzz of course is always battery.

6. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I use cheap carbon batteries from the Dollar store, two for a dollar and they last fairly well and sound good too.

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I love carbon type, and usually get them like everyone else, at Target or Dollar General Stores, etc. Usually pay $1 for two. Not really expensive.

8. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I use an 8 space AA holder and made a 9v to power plug adaptor. I load it up with NiMH rechargeables and have plenty of juice for lots of pedals for a number of sessions. After the initial cost, it's free power, more or less. Actually 7 batteries puts out exactly 9v and I did make a dummy conductor space filler but having 1.2V over is fine. I have a few of these so there's always a backup. No more alkalines.

jon

9. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

You'd have to if you are gonna be playing in front of thousands of people. Not a good time for a pedal to die. I'm sure he can afford it though.:AOK

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

I've always used batteries, but recently got the VS Onespot + daisy chain. I know it doesn't get along with germ. pedals, but it seems good so far with my other stuff. Definitely does NOT work with my Carb. I have a Huckleberry on the way that I'm told should not be a problem, despite the germ. tranny...we shall see.

11. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Some effects sound good with Power supplies but a lot of my old ones sound much better with plain old batteries. Newer mass produced effects seem less sensitive to batteries vs power supplies.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

That's what I like about the Pedal Power 2 I have... two of the power outputs have little controls that you can roll off to send a lower draw of power to the pedals. Basically, it adds some of the characteristics of the sound batteries impart on the sound of a pedal when it has less power. I'm sure it's not exactly the same as using batteries, but the unit is really quiet, functional and this is a nice feature to have for a couple of pedals.

13. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

t they don't get up to where a new 9V battery does.
    On some effects that is OK because they sound better (some different) with a slightly discharged battery.
    I was surprised to find that a Bad Monkey with a battery a little over 7 volts sounds surprisingly like an OCD but not with a new battery.

14. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Power supplies also make a difference in that they are not always delivering the stated 9v. I grabbed an old 9v supply for the baby monitor which no longer gets used. I decided to use it in the bedroom when Im testing my effect builds instead of always having to hunt down batteries. I put it on my Multi meter to determine the polarity and to my surprise the 9v power suplly was registering at 12-14v. I plugged it into my OD just for giggles ( I built it to take 18 v easily) and sure enough it sounded quite a bit different than with the battery.

Just an observation. If any of you have a multi meter, measure the power supply and see what it's actually pushing. You may be surprised.

:JAM

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Gas-man, a little trick. You can buy some of the DC power barrel connectors for those pedals that DO let you plug in, and plug them into the power in when not using the pedal....in most pedals this will disconnect the battery and keep it from draining, using the barrel connector as a "dummy" connector.

16. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I have found some new 9V baterries to be over 11V when brand new.
    A good 9V stays over 10V for a good amount of time.
    Of course that voltage is measured not under load.