Using delay, live???

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jackson, Oct 29, 2018.

1. jackson

jackson Member

For guys just doing sideman/cover gigs: do you use a delay pedal? Why? I keep thinking I need a delay, pedal, but, live I can't really find a use, unless I'm covering a song with obvious and significant echo, like U2 or a copy of that sound. I could see using one for rockabilly slapback, but, other than that, it just seems to muddy up the sound of the band, when everybody is playing, which is most of the time. Subtle echo is kind of pointless, in a full band setting, since you don't hear it. What's the point?

Paleolith54 likes this.
  2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I have one on my 'board, I'll use it once a gig for a song or two.

But I agree, kinda pointless. I got rid of reverb too...

3. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

Delay is pointless, huh?

Sounds like you already have your mind made up.

Baxtercat, jammwill, jrjones and 4 others like this.
  4. Sevenmodes

Sevenmodes Former/Future Time Bandit

I think reverb muddies the sound far more than delay and I often hear guitarists with way too much reverb in their sound. I don't use reverb and only use a very short, low feedback, low mix analog delay (not even close to slapback settings) when I have a smaller amp close mic'd and run through the PA.

It just adds a little space to the sound and is especially important in a small venue with hard walls or lots of glass. It doesn't sound natural with a straight, dry sound out of the PA. It sounds like you have your ear right beside the amp.

5. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I probably over use mine, but I'd be lost without it. It's just so nice to have a slap back and then a longer one.
    It adds color.

PBGas likes this.
  6. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

The original Echoplexes and tube reverb units sounded incredible and really did a lot for the tone and feel. The modern digital versions don't help the overall sound so I only use them when I have to. Yes they're on the board, but rarely used.

7. Lance

Lance Member

I like delay, always have. Especially the live version of, "Sinner," by JP off of Unleashed in the East. Loooove that sound! Being a big EVH, George Lynch and Yngwie fan, it sort of goes with the territory.

8. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

It’s just a sound. If you like it, cool. If you don’t, cool. It sounds like you like a dry sound. No biggy.
    Others like some ambience. What you call mud, others might call luscious. What they call stale, you might might call punchy. Different strokes for different folks.

stevenymets, jrjones, mjross and 6 others like this.
  9. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

Delay (like reverb outside of certain styles of music) isn't an all-the-time effect. Just turn it on when you're playing a lead to give your guitar some more space, then turn it off. If you never find yourself using it, though, just take it off the board and don't worry about it.

Paleolith54 and strike3 like this.
  10. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

delay clutters up the live mix...unless you are U2 or David Gilmour.

Tone_Terrific and GoGoRilla like this.
  11. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

It depends on what style of soloing I'm playing. In a slower song (like... Robbie Williams-Angels, I Shot the Sheriff...) it can add to the atmospheric vibe of a solo without having to play too many notes. In a straight, fast rock song, I probably leave the delay off.

It's another useful tool to add variety to your sounds.

kunos, Dr.Twang! and strike3 like this.
  12. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Depends on the room, but if I useit live it is always on, low in the mix, adds a little space and depth, but I keep it subtle.

13. Devnor

Devnor Member

I use delay & reverb on bass. Reverb is helpful especially when playing outside. I use delay sparingly, oftentimes to add depth to a gliss. Tempo synced, of course.

14. mikebat

mikebat Member

I have reverb on my board, but I do not use it for live use except for intros where there is a super high reverb mix for effect. Once the band kicks in, it is off. Great for home use though

But delay....I use that more than anything else. I have a 1/4 note delay for regular use, solos etc. I also have another dotted eight not delay with modulation. This I use instead of any modulation besides tremolo in spot usage. I prefer a modulated delay over a chorus, leslie or flanger because it does not smear the attack of the note. Love that helps keep things clear.

As for those who say delay make a live mix muddy, I disagree. Reverb without pre-delay does. I avoid it just to simplify my switching on stage.

But delay....unless you have too many repeats, I can't see it as muddying a live mix. In fact, most engineers profess to use delay instead of reverb, because reverb can congest a mix. Delay, not the case.

One last thing....I use delay in the fx loop of my amp. Delay in front an overdriven amp could be messy, fast. Keep the mix super low and repeats way down.

John 14:6, LeftyGtrPlr and Hamer95USA like this.
  15. sanrico

sanrico Member

I use it to thicken solos.

John 14:6, EarleG, mjross and 6 others like this.
  16. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Says who?? Nothing wrong with having it on all the time very low in the background..Great post Lance,

I like delay, always have. Especially the live version of, "Sinner," by JP off of Unleashed in the East. Loooove that sound! Being a big EVH, George Lynch and Yngwie fan, it sort of goes with the territory.

17. RLD

RLD Member

If you're using it other than a quick slapback it helps to use a tap tempo to sync with the songs bpm.

18. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

This is the answer.

CDP, strike3 and tonewoody like this.
  19. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Each of my three boards contain three delays. The main working board has an Analog Man ARDX20 for general ambience and a little air on leads; a Diamond Quantum Leap for modulated repeats, and for tricks; and a Mooer Ana Echo for slapback and doubling. This board also contains a Strymon Flint for reverb and tremolo. I use reverb very sparingly; over-the-top for surf, Ventures, etc., stuff like Walk Don't Run, and moderately for ballads and a few country things here and there, or for anything with baritone guitar. I use delay far more than reverb.

Baxtercat likes this.
  20. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I've been gigging on and off for over thirty years. After crucial listening and lots of real world experience with delay, I feel confident in saying that use of a little, or a lot, of delay can be awesome, great, good, just okay, bad, or terrible, depending on several things.