Using delay, live???

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jackson, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

"Outside certain styles of music" I believe is what I said. Delay on all the time works if you're a strictly lead player, or you're playing music that isn't very harmonically dense. You're not gonna wanna leave it on if you're comping through multiple chord changes in a measure, unless you like the sound of poop echoing.

2. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Yes you did say that..echoing poop is pretty much the sound in my head all the frickin' time.

Baxtercat and Unnecessary like this.
  3. gpasq

gpasq Member

I mostly use it during solos, but I use a ducking delay, so it only fills up space where there actually is some, and keeps the busy passages uncluttered.

I use it lightly during rhythm sections too, but very subtly. Again, a ducking delay, so it only fills voids.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  4. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i use it all the time, whenever i feel like it’s gonna work..... ie, often.
    i record with it, too.
    same with reverb.
    straight to the tracks.

i’m not playing covers nor soundalikes, mostly.

i do find that some things that scads of guitarists detest are def worth working-on, when music is the heart & goal.

5. splatt

that’s a single answer.

6. splatt

seems like ducking delays, delays w/trails (when turned off) etc are good things when playing creatively in “harmonically dense” material, but maybe that’s mostly for players who are comfortable with actively controlling their effects in real-time (to some degree).

Hamer95USA likes this.
  7. gpasq

gpasq Member

Not sure I follow... I don't do anything at all with my delay except turn it on.

8. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I've stopped, only because I'm lazy now about hauling gear and the material does not require it. As soon as as the material requires it I'm back in. I used to use two delays in the basic rig, one shorter with low mix and another very long with a low mix. I don't really care about dotted 8ths, etc. unless its critical. Shallow short delay for rhythm, long shallow delay for solos. Old fashioned.

9. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Imagine a delay where you can set the volume of when the wet signal (delay) is present. Below that level no delay, above that level the delay comes in. There's a bit more to it than that, but that is a simple explanation.

10. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I marked off a spot on my carbon copy for a specific song years ago and just left it there, always on. If the song calls for it, I’ll change length/repeats.

keefsdad, Darkburst and lp_bruce like this.
  11. gpasq

gpasq Member

I actually can do that with my footpedal. I don't, but it's doable. However I just route a lead channel through one ducking delay and my rhythm channel through another.

Laurence likes this.
  12. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

it will soften the attack of your distortion. just ask Eric Johnson. i like it for this reason alone.

EarleG, Laurence and Sevenmodes like this.
  13. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Live uses of delay pedals (for me):

- "doubling" a solo
    - rhythmic delays (rockabilly slap, dotted 8th)
    - short echo (slow rock\blues solos)
    - long echo (volume swells, ambient)
    - fake "lo-fi" reverb
    - always on thickener

EarleG likes this.
  14. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Watch, "Remember That Night" There are a lot of camera shots of his pedal's, etc.
    You'll see how he control's the levels and the repeats of his playing on different songs.
    Short answer, different volume pedals, dedicated to the wet and dry of delayed / non delayed signals.
    Plus..well, it's David Gilmour.

Disclaimer. I could be entirely misinformed and delusional.

:nuts

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  15. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I'm currently working in an '80s tribute band so the chorus/delay/reverb patches are needed to provide the sounds that I consider part of the '80s guitar sound. I use either a wet/ dry /wet or wet/dry guitar rig with a line out from the amp to a Korg DL8000R & Mosvalve power amp to run the wet guitar cabs. It gives the songs that surreal sound that makes the '80s guitar sounds come alive.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pictures of my wet/dry /wet guitar rig. The Marshall 1912 1x12 cab on top is dry. The Marshall 1936 on the bottom gets the left/ right wet guitar signal in stereo.

Guitar George

16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

A dynamic or ducking delay is the heat. The drummers I play with have wandering timing, or at least my Korg delay has better timing than they do, so I don’t really get to do dotted 8ths much.

17. tonewoody

tonewoody Member

Delay live?
    Not even a question in my mind.

Delay is a sonic staple that no guitarist should go without.

18. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

Lots of professionals use subtle delay to make their sound more spacious. Jimmy Page and John Mayer, for example. The Edge and David Gilmour use delay more for effect. You'll find that once you know how to use it, that delay is fantastic effect. If it's making the sound muddy, that's user error. Sometimes I think that they should rename this site, The User Error Page.

The Captain, Blix and Hamer95USA like this.
  19. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I'm not one for absolutes, so when people say delay is entirely useless live or entirely necessary, I am inclined to disagree. Because the need/use of delay--like any other effect--is driven by context and personal taste. I usually have delay on my board and sometimes use it as an "always on" effect--lightly applied--to thicken the sound a bit. Other times I don't. For me, it's more driven by mood and how much (if any) reverb I'm using.

Great playing, brother.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    27sauce likes this.
  20. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

delay is wonderful thing live - used low in the mix it gives incredible spaciousness without getting muddy or blurry. I use it alot - in various applications. as someone in thread had noted - if at ALL possible - use a real tape delay (echoplex, TTE, etc.) and you'll never want to turn it off....

Hamer95USA likes this.