using delays with old plexi amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rich2k4, Aug 22, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

since these amps don't have an effects loop, how would you go about using a delay pedal or any other time based effect?

do you just put them at the end of the pedal chain, after the overdrive?

i heard you can somehow make an effects loop using the 4 inputs of the amp. plugging 1 side of the delay pedal into the bottom left input, and the other end into the top right. this way you can use Volume II to dial in how much delay you want. is this true?

2. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Its true. Not the best way to do it, but better than going straight into the chain.I prefer a wet rig with an old Marshall.Run the head into a DI box and take the DI into the delay them out of the delay into another amp.
    Its the best way to preserve all your tone and get quality delay.

3. Belmont

Belmont Member

just run the time based effects at the end of your signal chain,I use a true bypass loop pedal for mine,so they're out of the signal path when not being used.countless pros run delays in front of their amps,Edge,EVH and on and on,seriously don't worry about it.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

No matter what if the delay is before any distortion it won't sound good (IMO and many others). So yes placing the delay after your OD pedal will reduce this effect, but if you're getting any distortion from your plexi it's going to sound garbled.

I beleive that how Eric Johnson used to apply delay to his plexi's was placing the delay as an added affect *after* the mic. Not sure how he does it now, but it sure doesn't ever sound like he has delays going *before* distortion.

5. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I use a tape echo. run it rignt into the amp like they did in the 60' and 70's..ala gilmour at pompei or page at AH orMSG. works and never had an issue till the net told net it was wrong. just seems that less amp od tunes need more echo or I use a fuzz like gilmour. when i need less echo they tend to be more cream like tones or I play with long repats and a more legato style...never get the mush up of mazx saturation and insane echo repeats

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I remember hearing Eric Lifeson of Rush playing live with a delay right in front of the amp and it didn't sound so hot. It was the 70's and Lifeson did not let it stop him from rocking out.:cool:

7. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Or did you mean Alex Johnson? (Rush: Alex Lifeson, Battery man: Eric Johnson)
    Those guys back then the old days didn't have any loops with echoplexe's and sounded just fine...
    I never used a delay in a loop...doesn't sound right to me...

8. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I use a 4 loop Loooper and my Carl Martin Delayla is on the last loop. Works fine with my 68 plexi.

9. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

It all depends on how much gain you run. Up to a certain point, delay sounds fine in front of the overdrive, albeit, different than after the overdrive. The first time I encountered a problem was trying to use delay in front of the massive preamp overdrive of an original Mesa Boogie with the preamp on something like 8. That doesn't sound good to me. In front of a vintage type amp where a more moderate amount of preamp overdrive is happening followed by power amp overdrive, now that's a different story and sounds much better. It just depends on whether or not you want your delay to be crystalline or have a little trash in it.

10. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

I'll run a cheap older non midi rack Digital Delay as the last effect in my chain into my old non master vol. Ampeg V2's or my`76 Marshall JMP 1987 and it works great! I have a Vox wah, Fulltone De'ja Vibe, two tube(12AX7) distortion pedals, a noise gate and a chorus pedal hooked up before it hits the delay and I have no problems! Sounds fine.

11. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

As long as your running the amp at moderate volume levels, you'll sound perfectly fine running the delay straight in.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

having no effect loop never seemed to hamper jimi or eric johnson

13. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Well, back when I started playing, there was no such thing as an FX loop. We just plugged our stuff straight in and blasted away. I used a Cry Baby, Fender Blender and Echoplex straight in to a 50w Marshall and it sounded just fine :D

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

You can do what yuou described or go in the end of your chain...neither are an effects loop and both go through the front end but some guys do like to run it like you described...other than being able to use Voluem II like a sort of a mix control I don't see/hear any rea difference.

Guys did just fine running delay/echo effects inline for a lot of years before an effects loop...no reason it can't work for you too.

15. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

You could mic the speaker and send the mic through a separate delay unit adjusted to 100% wet (no original signal mixed in), and send that effect to the PA or to a small amp. This is kind of similar to what EC does for his distorted sounds. It's probably more trouble than it's worth. You get perfect repeats but it's a cumbersome solution prone to feedback.
    :YinYang

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yes, it is true, and is the best way I have found to do it. It isn't perfect, but it works way better to my ears than on main input..when using the amp to distortion. you could even put a volume pedal before the delay (and you probably want to if possible set the delay to max, or wet only).

Of course, another way to go would be to buy a little backup amp like a Cube60, split the signal and run it from wet delay into the Cube60.

That way you'd always have a backup amp as well, and they aren't too costly.

Other option, an amp tech could probably build an effects loop for your amp, though I don't know what it would cost, or how much it would alter the sound.

17. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

Not a bad idea! You could easily adjust the sound of the repeats by messing with the small amp's settings (darker, louder, distorted, etc). The original Marshall sound would remain completely unaffected. Any stereo delay could accomplish this. Very cool.

18. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I don't believe in effects loops.

19. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Your'e not the only one...
    :)

20. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

I love Rush sound circa 1978-1980:RoCkIn

Alex lifeson=Modern day Warrior :rotflmao:hide