Using distortion on vocals...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by scottlr, Jan 18, 2008.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have read in various articles in SOS mag about folks using distortion on vocals. So how often is this actually used on records? I have been listening to the local rock station lately and I think I have noticed some warm distortion being applied to the vox, but it never occurred to me to do that. I always try to get as clean and crisp a vocal track as possible. But my voice isn't all that great, so maybe this is something I might want to consider to make MY vocal tracks sound more acceptable?

I am using Logic, so would I use just "distortion," or would it be warmer using a tube guitar amp sim? Also, I think I read in SOS that the particular engineer duped the track, and had one with distortion, and one without, then blended them.

2. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Do your distortion processing in parallel....it keeps the vocals intelligible but adds energy/intensity to the sound. So, use it in an aux, or doubled track....

Cheers

Kris

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

Thanks. I'll give it a go and see if it does anything for me :)

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

The SAnsamp PSA seems to get mentioned alot for that. I was gonna grab one up to use on snare tracks.

5. isfahani

isfahani Member

ProCo Rat...

Also, I would guess it depends on what kind of distortion you're looking for, and what the voice with whatever particular mic sounds like.

If you'r using VST's I'd try "guitar rig" as I have had fairly interesting results putting anything BUT guitar into it for colors.

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

Sansamp ROCKS on vocals. It's amazingly aggressive w/o sticking too far out of the mix.

Loudboy

7. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I use an old Korg A3 guitar rack FX unit (kindof a modeller before they were called modellers)...works great.

Cheers

Kris