• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Using Effects Pedals with DAW

placebo62

So I am totally new to recording so please forgive my ignorance here.

I have a basic little setup at home where I want to record guitar and synth.

I have aFocusrite Clarett 4pre as my audio interface.

I want to use some of my pedals as send effects to use with Logic.

So a couple of questions.

1. Are there any issues in chaining multiple effects on the one send? For example I’d like to have my reverb into my delay and have that available on a single send.

2.How exactly does the effected signal get imprinted onto the track in the DAW? Without playing the track through there will be no effect, so does one have to play the track through with the effect on and then save it as a duplicate somehow?

I know that’s very noob

3. What is the best way in managing different settings on different tracks on the effects? Like if I want to have the reverb on a drum track and also use the reverb with different settings on the guitar. Perhaps the answer to question 2 will answer this

thank you

MiguelDamas

1. No issues.

2. You need to record the output of the pedals back into the DAW.

3. Same process as in number 2, done in multiple passes. Recall is a bitch with outboard, make sure you write down your settings.

placebo62

1. No issues.

2. You need to record the output of the pedals back into the DAW.

3. Same process as in number 2, done in multiple passes. Recall is a bitch with outboard, make sure you write down your settings.
Hey,

Thanks for the reply!

So could you expand a bit on #2? How exactly does this work? Lets say I have recorded clean guitar track and want to add in the delay to it.

Do I play this back with the pedal on and then that would create a new track with the effected sound?

marmalade cream

Supporting Member
Hey,

Thanks for the reply!

So could you expand a bit on #2? How exactly does this work? Lets say I have recorded clean guitar track and want to add in the delay to it.

Do I play this back with the pedal on and then that would create a new track with the effected sound?
I would create a new track in your DAW, and set it to record the input on your interface that you have routed your effects pedals to. This way you still have the dry track and the wet track, and can balance the two later in the mix.

Note that you may need a re-amp box to convert the impedance and bring down the level coming out of your interface before you run into your effects pedals. Many pedals have limited headroom and will distort if you try to feed them a line level signal.

placebo62

I would create a new track in your DAW, and set it to record the input on your interface that you have routed your effects pedals to. This way you still have the dry track and the wet track, and can balance the two later in the mix.

Note that you may need a re-amp box to convert the impedance and bring down the level coming out of your interface before you run into your effects pedals. Many pedals have limited headroom and will distort if you try to feed them a line level signal.
Thank you, that makes perfect sense.

The effects I am using should hopefully be okay, OTO Machines BIM and BAM and some Moogerfoogers, which apparently are line level.

MiguelDamas

Hey,

Thanks for the reply!

Your DAW may have functionality to streamline this process (Reaper has a plugin called ReaInsert, for example), but generally speaking this is what it looks like:

- create a hardware send from the track you want to process via the outboard gear (say Output 3)
- go out from Output 3 into the hardware unit(s) then back into an unused input (Input 1)
- create a new track, set it to Input 1 and arm it
- hit record and let it play out

Couple of things to keep in mind. One is latency compensation. Hopefully your DAW has a way of pinging the outboard device to measure round trip latency and will compensate accordingly, but if not you'll need to manually nudge the processed track.

The other thing, as marmalade cream mentioned, is wet / dry ratios. If you're printing an effect like verb or delay, you might want to set the hardware unit to 100% wet and adjust the mix in the DAW by balancing track volumes. Obviously if you're going through a fuzz that wouldn't (usually) make much sense.

placebo62

If you don’t mind me asking - have you tried the effects that come with Logic? Seems to me that using them would be a lot easier.
I have tried and also tried some nice plugins like Valhalla. But for whatever reason, I just like using my hardware effects instead. I like being limited in what they can offer and also the tactile nature of them rather than clicking through presets and menus.

Trending Topics