• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Using headphones with amps?

sackings

Hello, my first post here but have been an avid reader of the gearpage and have learned a ton here.

Is there a simple way to use headphones with amps? I'm strictly an at home player and have a few vintage twins and plexi's and usually use my THD Hotplate or Weber Mass (non headphone jack version) but I'd like to be able to play them at night so need to use headphones. I'm assuming a line out from the attenuator then to what? I'm assuming a cab sim that allows headphones? Looking for something simple and don't need amp or effect sims. I've searched here but haven't found a solution. Any advice or just pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

gearscrubs

Simplest would be something like the Mesa CabClone, as it acts as a load for your amp, plus speaker cabinet emulation and headphone out. Koch, SPL, Two Notes and a few others make devices with similar functions.

There are also pedals like the AMT Chameleon CAB, which can handle a line level signal from your attenuator and has a headphone out.

demea26

...or invest in a practice type amp like a Fender Mustang, Marshall Code, Blackstar, etc.

Works great for my late night or silent playing needs

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I have been searching for a headphone option that doesn't hurt my ears. I have a Cab Clone which I think is fair. So far the Quilter 101 Mini head is the most satisfying headphone sound.

logdrum

My experience is even with these devices, it is better to have a small mixer or through you DAW. I have a cab clone now in my temp apartment, rest of my gear is back east. Not as great from the cab clone and an attenuator. When I was recording it was better through my friend's DAW setup. So I scored a cheap Behringer mixer from CL for like 30 bucks. World of difference. So even though your amp has a headphone amp. Nothing beats a mixer or DAW for headphone monitoring

sackings

thank you all for the responses. After researching all the suggestions I think the Two Note Torpedo CAB is what I'm looking for. I like speaker/cab options and the pedal format. thanks again!

Dad love mom

...or invest in a practice type amp like a Fender Mustang, Marshall Code, Blackstar, etc.

Works great for my late night or silent playing needs
Or play your current amp at lower volumes and invest in a compression pedal, a distortion pedal, and some echo.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom