1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Helix Native Live? Audio Interface?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by danpintos, Dec 11, 2019.

1. danpintos

danpintos Member

Hey all,

I'm looking into using Helix Native live on a DAW with snapshots for preset switching and whatnot. It's hard to find threads on people using a setup like this, as most people just use a Helix floor/lt for the simplicity - but this method would be much more cost effective for me.

Anyone have experience doing something like this, recommendations on a cheap(er) low latency audio interface? My plans are to use this set-up for live sound as well as recording.

2. tribedescribe

tribedescribe Member

Pc or Mac? Thunderbolt or usb? Budget? In/out needs?

Ive used Ni guitar rig live and it works pretty well with their midi learn. While Helix native does not do midi, DAW's like reaper and Logic can midi learn the snapshots. Have you thought about a midi footpedal?

Have you considered a Hx stomp instead?

3. SymphonicDischord

SymphonicDischord Member

If I’m not mistaken @metropolis_4 has experience with a laptop setup.

4. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I’ve done this quite a bit and it can definitely work well.

If you’re on a budget the Focusrite Scarlett is hard to beat. They’ve got good sounding preamps and you can find used ones for around $60

5. vladorg

vladorg Member

Around Black Friday IK Multimedia had the Axe I/O on sale for $249, I don't think you can get better in that price range and it's basically an interface designed for recording guitar.

6. ejeffreyhorn

ejeffreyhorn Supporting Member

I've been using an HX stomp live, but have been trying a Helix Native setup lately in practice/rehearsal. We are using a DAW (Reaper) for tracks and vocal effects so there is a laptop (macbook) in our setup already. Here's where I am:

1) USB interfaces are fine, but I am going to be grabbing a Thunderbolt interface this week. I could live with the 8-12ms latency if I had to. But Thunderbolt will get that down to 1-2ms - more or less imperceptible and on par with the HX stomp. Resident Audio makes 2 affordable ($200-300) ones - T2 and T4. However, you need to be using a mac with Thunderbolt 2 (not USB 3.) Zoom also makes an affordable one (Tac2.) It's thunderbolt 1. You can find these used for less than $200.

2) Check the impedance of the instrument input on your interface. I like at least 1meg. I have an old presonus that is 500k and it rolls off too many highs for my taste.

3) For Snapshot/preset/block control, consider using something you have already - your phone. I have an old Iphone that I have used in conjunction with the camera connection kit and MIDI Designer Pro to change presets and for transport controls on Reaper. Super easy to configure and infinitely flexible. The phone mounts easily on a mic stand for live use.