Using humbuckers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bad Back, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

If you gig with humbucker type PU’s, I would really appreciate hearing what your are using, and how you are using them. That is:
    1. What PU for the bridge and neck?
    2. Where do you usually set the volume and tone controls?
    3. Do you tend to use one of the PU’s more than the other, and if so, which one?
    4. Do you switch back and forth during a song, and if so, could you give an example or two of the song and what PU where?
    I recognize there is no one right answer here and that’s it’s all subjective. However, I do learn from others and would appreciate how you play gigs with humbuckers.

TIA

BB

2. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Hello Tele Man,

Thanks for the input. I guess there aren't many folks around here playing gigs with humbuckers.

BB

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I ussally do the cliche neck for rhythm and bridge for lead i have a carvin tl-60 with thier stock carvin hums sound good enough to my ears. I am generally a rhythm player so i guess 80 neck 20 bridge, occationally if thier is a need to really cut i will use the bridge for rhythm work, we cover politicain and i think it sounds good on this song.

I ussally roll with full tone, but for a more mellow tone will sometimes back it off ussally on a slow song or a chicago blues style numbers. For lead i ussally rock full tone.

Volume is ussally 75-80 percent for rhythm work and i roll it up to 100 for leads.

I guess that is all i got it really depends on the set/song and acousitcs i hear on stage.

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

My favorite is both neck & bridge, and then blend to taste for the moment. With the Bridge alone, I back the tone off to the sweet spot, which is subjective.

For songs that I switched them back and forth, I used to do all three parts of the guitar solos on Abbey Road's The End. That was probably the most toggling in one song, aside from one setting for rhythm, and a switch for a solo.

5. codeorama

codeorama Member

I have WCR's in my Les Paul Custom, I use the bridge (goodwood) 90 percent of the time. My band plays Tool, Rush, Zeppelin, Sabbath etc....
    I use the neck (darkburst) for some solo's just to get a different sound. I could actually survive without a neck pick up if I had to.

6. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

My gigging guitars are a McNaught Phoenix with Rio Grande humbuckers (Texas/BBQ set) and a PRS Custom 22 with Dragon 2s. Both guitars give me a fat singing humbucking tone and sweet single coil tones.

7. Mark C

Mark C Member

I don't play em' that often anymore, but when I did I preferred vintage style pickups (Seth Lovers, Burstbuckers, Antiquities, etc...) in a LP style guitar with some kind of Marshall flavored amp. For a while I played a LP into a bassman reissue and that was a kick-ass tone. Right now I've got burstbuckers in my LP and they work just fine for anything I need to do.

8. rickboot

rickboot Member

Most of my 20+ guitars have humbuckers - various flavors of Seymour Duncan, Gibson, Dimarzio, EMG, Ibanez. There is quite a bit of tonal variation even within the same maker.

Being an 80s rock refugee, I play with the bridge pickup for rhythm and the neck pickup for leads above the 12th fret. When I got my first LP I was surprised that pickup selector the bridge pickup was lead and the neck was rhythm. :)

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

R7 with WCR goodwood in bridge, darkburst in neck.

I like the guitar wide open and don't use the volume and tone too much, a little here and there. I like having the amp just breaking up so that I have good control with my right hand and can keep it clean or dirty, then slam it with an OD for inspired solos.

I switch pups a lot, use them all. I have to admit between the RS kit and WCR's all of that "muddy LP tone" is nothing but a rumor. The neck pup is hollow, woody and sweet. With both pups on it is great chimey clean, cuts through very well. And the GW bridge brings the attitude when needed, big fat PAF tone, great mids and highs.

10. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Is there any other way to play? ;)

11. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Guild Bluesbird with Duncan 59's, Hamer Special FM with Duncan 59 neck and (for now) a Rio Grande Texas (not BBQ) in the bridge.

I use the neck pup extensively for blues, jazz rock and Allman Bros tones. I roll the bridge tone off slightly for the 59 bridge, but not for the Texas, as it's slightly hotter and darker.

I also like the middle position with either pup dimed and the other volume rolled off a bit. Great tones this way too.

I tend to favor moderate amounts of OD. Everything seems more articulate. LP style guitars are extremely versatile if you play with the controls. Of course it's fun to "step on it" occasionally too.

12. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Lindy Fralin 9k bridge and 8k neck in my Hamers. (Studio, Sunburst & Standard)

Lindy Fralin 10k bridge in my Charvel San Dimas.

Seymour Duncan JB bridge and Jazz neck in my Schecter C-1 Classic

I use the bridge pickups in the Hamer's 80% of the time and always in the one pup Charvel :NUTS through a late 60's Traynor Mark 3 1x15 combo (stock), 71' Marshall JMP 50 watt head. The Schecter gets more varied use thanks to the 5 way pup selector. Also, the Schecter is usually used/recorded direct through a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman (old model), into a Universal Audio 2-610 preamp, into ProTools LE. The amps of course get mics.

IPH