Using IEMs in Small Clubs with Short Set Up Time

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cody109, Apr 5, 2015.

1. cody109

cody109 Member

So I'm looking into using in-ear monitors for playing out live but was wondering what some of the issues that some of you have encountered when using them in small clubs/bars and where you only have about 10-15 minutes to set up in between bands.

I'm looking to use either the Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 or one of the Behringer XR Air Series Mixers most likely the XR18. These would allow each band member to set their own mix level using an ipad or iphone. You can also save mix settings so that would help with saving time. We could hopefully just make small adjustments once on stage if need be. And then I would imagine the best way to get the mic signals from either of those mixers would be to use a splitter snake.

My biggest question would be what would be the best way of utilizing this set up in a small club, short time set-up environment?

I could see issues coming up with the sound guy who might not want to deal with unplugging cables from their mixer or snake to accommodate for the splitter snake or cable from my mixer. Or having the time to set this up in that short amount of time.

Anyone have some advice or tips?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it works when you have your own mixing board with everything preset from last time, so you wire up, turn on and go, and everything is already close to where it needs to be.

with outside systems and outside soundguys, i'm not sure how you could pull this off fast. my band does their own sound (i do it, actually).

3. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

A small digital board in a small portable rack with wireless IEMs works if you want to plug all your own gear into your board and then just give the house guy a stereo feed from your board. If you're confident with your own mix, he'd only have to make sure you're mix feed doesn't clip his inputs and he still controls overall loudness. I've had to do this before, with various levels of success, depending upon venue. Honestly, I know how to mix my own band better than a stranger who often has little/no experience. Also, all channels are already EQ'd, and sound guy can tweak the mix feed EQ a bit for overall room.