Using Interesting Quotes...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by StevenA, May 14, 2020.

1. StevenA

StevenA Member

I find it amusing as well as rewarding using quotes in various places. I have found most of Carlton’s KC solo can go just about anywhere. The most daring I have integrated has been to play Whipping Post over a Latin Bossa.

2. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

I love doing this. I have a couple clips my wife recorded of me (noodling) where I take quotes and play a whole chorus of blues with them. I’ll try to post them later.

It’s a fun exercise that’s a great blend of ear training, creativity, and theory.

derekd and StevenA like this.
  3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I use this one too much:

4. gennation

gennation Member

I wish the audio was a bit better on this but I quoted the Woody Wood Pecker theme in this Dixieland style solo...

derekd, Guitardave and vintagelove like this.
  5. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

I’ve played at implementing this as a challenge for a jazz brunch I do (well, preCOVID). Since we tend to do many of the same songs in much the same way, the idea to keep it fresh would be to name a film at the start of the gig and then challenge everyone (just a duo + percussion in my case) try to work in quotes from it throughout the gig. E.g. The Wizard of Oz, the Sound of Music, West Side Story, etc. Sort of did it on one gig but didn’t stick with it enough to really work well. But if we ever start up again I’m going to get on it hard, cause it’d be a blast.

derekd likes this.
  6. The bear

The bear Member

It can sound tacky if not done right... I love how JJ Johnson was quoting from "Peter and the Wolf" on a live clip I saw with Sonny Stitt, later he quoted some Dvorak... Cannonball was good at it. I have heard some players do it and its cringeworthy...

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I’ll play the theme from “Doogie Howser” over just about anything.

p.j. likes this.
  8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I was in a band where quoting was banned. (Side note:years later the trumpet player toured with the Stones many times)

Howzaboppin, dsimon665 and The bear like this.
  9. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

Well, I only got 1 file to (half) work. Lets play name that tune 90's tv edition.

Bonus points for the standard.

10. DrSax

DrSax Member

Cannonball was good at everything.

JosephZdyrski and The bear like this.
  11. The bear

The bear Member

I am sure the Stones didn't allow him to quote either.
    In my book a quote can work if it happens in the moment, you might suddenly hear a melody and then you play it. Sometimes the melody might be from a known tune....If it is a pre planned, insert quote thing, it might now work as well.

JosephZdyrski likes this.
  12. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Totally agree... it’s almost like the best ones happen by accident. Or leaves the audience wondering if it was an accident or intentional... and a lot of times it’s a bit of both, usually the best quotes happen when the quote could simply be a perfect line for the music on its own regardless of it was a quote or not... that fact that it was a quote is just a bonus.

The bear likes this.
  13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

14. AlexMalaska

AlexMalaska Member

Definitely agree that it can be done well or tacky. I like when it’s done intentionally as a tip of the hat to one of the greats especially if the allusion adds a nugget of meaning to the song. An example that comes to mind is John Frusciante opening the solo to Dani California with a 4-note quote from Purple Haze. It’s tasteful and you might not catch it if you’re not a guitar nerd, but it opens the album with an announcement of the kinds of influences and direction he was taking in his lead playing vs his previous 2 albums with them. I like stuff like that

The bear likes this.
  15. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I like'em when cleverly done.

I'm not sure where the line is between clever and forced. Shoehorning quotes into a tune or stringing them together for a solo seems odd on the surface, kinda like a faux improvisational medley.

The bear and JosephZdyrski like this.
  16. StevenA

StevenA Member

What is the difference between a quote and a riff? SRV spent most of his career quoting Albert King.

17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

A wonderful upright bass player friend seems to let ‘If I Only Had A Brain’ slip out. I’ve heard him do it for decades.

18. StevenA

StevenA Member

That’s how you know it’s him on recordings.

guitarjazz likes this.
  19. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Signature licks versus melody lines of tunes, maybe?

The licks SRV borrowed from the Three Kings sound different when placed in other tunes, though certainly recognizable. Melodies often hold their musical integrity (if that's the term I'm looking for) when inserted into other tunes.

JosephZdyrski and StevenA like this.
  20. Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy

Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy Member

Playing in bar bands doing cover tunes. One night after playing Old Time Rock And Roll a zillion times, I quoted Smoke On The Water over the 1 chord, Sunshine Of Your Love over the 4, Day Tripper over the 5, Cat Scrath Fever over the 1, Batman Theme over the 4, and The Twighligjt Zone Theme over the 5.
    Still doing it in my second round of solos.
    Interesting quotes ? Maybe not....

StevenA likes this.